Learn how to make a Classic club sandwich recipe. In today’s blog, I will share the best club sandwich in a step-by-step way, veg club sandwich, ultimate club sandwich recipe.
One of the most well-known sandwiches globally- Club Sandwich seems to have originated in Union Club of New York. Originally consisting of chicken and bacon and made of 2 or 3 slices of bread but we Indians have our own Indian version of the club sandwich.
Today, I am sharing the Veg Club Sandwich which has 2 layers filled with the goodness of Paneer and a lot of veggies. I am sure you are going to like my version of the grilled veg club sandwich. Here we go with, the best Club Sandwich recipe.
In the Indian version of the veg club sandwich recipe, Chutney spread that I am applying to the bread slices is very important. It is like the soul of the recipe. If you skip applying chutney to the bread slices, sandwiches won’t taste as good as with them.
I am making chutney with coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilies, and garlic. If you prefer, you can skip adding garlic to the chutney mixture. I have added dry mango powder (also known as amchur) as it provides a hint of sourness to the chutney.
The filling that goes into making this veg club sandwich recipe is very important. I have ensured that the filling keeps the sandwich moist and that it does not appear dry. To make this filling, I have used veggies like- Carrots, cabbage, and capsicum. I have shredded and chopped veggies finely so that it gets blended easily with the mixture. If the veggies are not finely chopped then it may ruin the appearance of a club sandwich as pieces of veggies may come poking out of bread slices. These veggies are dry, and this is where- mayo and mustard paste provides a great balance of flavor and texture. Mayo acts as a great moistening agent here and mustard provides a pungent flavor which is just right for this sandwich. You can be more creative with Mayo and get some ideas from here
I have added paneer and cucumber slices to the second layer since it adds to the protein column of the nutrition chart of the sandwich. I have seasoned paneer with salt and pepper so that it does not taste too bland.
- Ensure butter is softened and not liquid as we want to spread it on bread slices and not make the slices soggy.
- You can fry the paneer slices if you like but I have kept them raw to retain their nutrition.
- Garlic is optional in Green Chutney and you can skip it if you don’t prefer adding it.
- Aamchoor powder can be replaced with lemon juice.
- You can replace white bread with brown bread as well.
- I have added shredded cheese but you can even choose cheese slices and put them on top of the Paneer layer.
Make this delicious and best club sandwich for your family evening tea and they would love it. I am saying this from my own personal experience, as I keep getting requests for making this from my family every now and then 😊
Share your experience with this sandwich in the comment section below.
Get some more sandwich recipes
Best Club Sandwich recipe
- Bread Slices-12
- Coriander leaves- 1 cup
- Mint leaves- 1/2 cup
- Green Chilies-3
- Garlic Cloves : 4-5
- Dry Mango powder: 1/2 tsp
- Carrots Grated: 1/2 cup
- Cabbage shredded: 1/2 cup
- Capsicum chopped: 1/2 cup
- Cucumber slices: 1 cup
- Paneer: 100gms
- Mayonnaise: 4-tbsp
- Mustard paste: 2 tsp
- Pepper Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- We will make a green chutney paste. Grind Coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilies, garlic, dry mango powder and 1-2 tsp water into a fine chutney paste.
- We will make a filling for Club Sandwich. In a large bowl, add all the veggies.
- Add pepper powder, salt to taste, mayonnaise and mustard paste. Mix well.
- We will take 3 bread slices. Apply butter on the bread slices
- Chef's Tip: - Ensure, you are not using melted butter. It must be soft so that it could spread easily
- Now, apply chutney paste on the bread slices. Layer a bread slice with cucumber slices. Put Paneer slices on top of cucumber slices. Sprinkle some pepper powder and salt to season the paneer layer. Finally, put some grated cheese on top.
- Put another bread slice on top of this layer- chutney layer facing on top.
- Now, we will apply the Veg mayo filling for second layer
- Finally put the last slice on second layer- chutney layer facing down this time.
- Spread some soft butter on last slice. Now, we are ready to toast. Put the sandwich on a hot tawa- buttered layer facing down
- Spread some soft butter on the other side. Change sides after couple of mins. Toast well from both sides.
- Remove from tawa. Serve hot.
Click to watch recipe video
Leave a Reply