Learn to make the Grilled Bombay-Mumbai Sandwich recipe in a step-by-step way in today’s blog post.
Mumbai is a City of Contradictions, It is a city of dreams, a city that never sleeps. To an outsider, the previous statement would appear to be a kind of opposing thought. But didn’t I say you Mumbai is full of beautiful contradictions?
It is also a city where locals and immigrants realize their dreams to make it big. If you dream with your eyes open, the chances of realizing those dreams are pretty high because the city gives you ample opportunities.
During my High School days, I used to be a street food connoisseur, trying out new eateries and sometimes sticking out with the old ones. I had a penchant for this one sandwichwala, who used to operate a sandwich joint near my college. When this guy started out his joint, he had only a few items on his menu. What was striking about him was his attitude, he used to operate every single day and never took a break. He would customize these sandwiches for his patrons’ liking. Beetroot, cucumber, potatoes, onions, green bell peppers, different chutneys, butter, and a lot of cheese were some of the ingredients he would use, and make different sandwiches using them. He would toil from morning 9 to 11 in the night and would then call it a day. He would turn up early morning the next day, and get busy making preparations before his clients would start coming. I observed him for 2 years during my Higher secondary school days.
Recently, when I had an opportunity to visit a place near my college, I visited this place and was pleasantly surprised to see his food joint had grown into a pretty decent eatery. The menu boasted almost 100 sandwiches. What was more pleasing to me was seeing him still operating in the kitchen and ensuring he makes these sandwiches as demanded by his clients. I was reading “Alchemist” at that time and seeing the sandwichwala, Paulo Cohelo’s quote “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it” seemed to be coming true.
So when I decided I would be sharing the Grilled Bombay Sandwich recipe, I thought I must dedicate this to all those sandwichwala and street food vendors, who dream every single day with their eyes open to make it big in the city.
- 6 Bread Slices (White Bread)
- 1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (sliced into rounds)
- 1 Capsicum (Julienne)
- 2 Boiled Potatoes (cut into rounds)
- 1 tsp Chat Masala
- Salt to taste
- ½ Cup Coriander-Mint Chutney
- We will use 3 slices to make one sandwich. Apply butter on each slice. Get the butter out from refrigerator some time before you start making sandwiches. Butter must get softened so that you can apply it easily on slices
- After we have applied butter, now we will apply chutney on each slices. Chutney must not be too thin or too thick. It must have spread like consistency.
- Place Potato rounds on the bottom slice. I am fond of Potatoes, so I am stuffing in more Potatoes :). You can increase or reduce veggies as per your preference
- Put some chopped Onions on top and sprinkle Salt. Put second bread slice on top and press gently.
- This completes the bottom layer. On second slice, put tomatoes, Capsicum juliennes. Sprinkle some chat masala on top. Grate some cheese
- Place the final bread slice on top. Let's now grill the sandwich.
- Heat a grill pan. Put some butter and spread it on pan. Place a sandwich on grill pan. We have grilled underside for about 2 mins.
- Before we flip over, let's apply some butter on top. Flip over and grill from other side
- Remove the grilled sandwich from the pan. You can serve this sandwich as it is or cut it into desired shape
- Tip of the Day:
- a) Always apply soft butter on Bread Slices (never apply melted butter). Bread will absorb melted butter more quickly and become soggy
- b) Many of us do not like brown edges of bread in their sandwiches. Never cut the edges before grilling the sandwich. It firmly holds up your sandwich. So, always trim edges after the grilling is complete
So all you dreamers dream bigger, and work harder because Mumbai would never disappoint you!!
Get some interesting sandwich recipes
Click to watch the recipe video