Dhaba style Aloo Matar is a popular Indian Veg preparation and an interesting variation to usual Aloo Matar gravy preparation. Aloo Matar veg gravy is a staple at my home especially during winters when Hare Matar (green peas) are available in abundance.
If you love Green Peas, then we have some delicious Green peas preparations for you.
This gravy can also be prepared using frozen green peas, however the inherent sweetness of fresh green peas makes this dish such a favorite at my home. What makes this dish a hugely favored option at my home is that it is so easy and quick to prepare. It can be relished with Roti, Parathas and with simple plain steamed rice.
Dhaba Style Aloo Matar is a rich Indian gravy preparation with a base of Onion-Tomato. This masala is then spiced and flavored with several Indian spices.
Make this rich Indian gravy preparation and share your feedback with us.
- 1 Cup=200 gram Fresh Green Peas
- ¼th Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 3 medium sized=250 Grams Potatoes (chopped into cubes)
- Cooking Oil
- 3 medium sized=250 grams Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 2 medium sized Onions=125 grams Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/Rai
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- ¼th tsp Asafoetida Powder/Hing
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Dried Red Chili Powder (Less spicy)
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ¼th tsp Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)-roasted
- Pinch of Sugar.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp Cooking Oil in a pan. Fry Potato Cubes lightly until a thin crust is formed on Potato cubes (5 mins on low-medium heat). Remove potatoes from the pan
- In the same pan, put mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter. Add Cumin Seeds and Asafoetida Powder. After 30 seconds,add finely chopped onions. Let Onions become light brown in color
- Onions become light brown in color in about 8-10 mins on medium heat. Add Turmeric Powder and give a quick mix. Now add Ginger-Garlic Paste and cook on medium heat.
- Add Coriander leaves, chopped tomatoes and cook on high heat for a min.
- We will cook tomatoes covered on low heat until it becomes soft and mushy. To quicken the process of softening of tomatoes, add some salt. Mix well and cook covered
- Uncover after 6 mins
- Mash with back of a ladle Add red chili powder, dry coriander powder. Bhunao the ingredients on medium heat. Add some water to prevent masala from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep alternating between stiring and mashing .
- After 4-5 mins of Bhunao, Oil begins to ooze out from the masala. Now add Green Peas and pinch of Sugar (check related tip below) and mix well.
- Now add fried Potatoes. Make sure you don't break potatoes due to agressive stiring.
- Add water as needed (as per desired consistency of the dish)-We have used 1½ Cups of water
- Allow gravy to boil on medium heat.
- Add salt, garam masala powder and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Lower the heat and cook covered. We have cooked green peas for 7-8 mins on reduced heat. Fresh Green Peas may take a little longer to cook than Frozen peas.
- Now add dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi). Roast and then roughly crush between your palms. Give a final stir and then switch off the heat
- Serve Aloo Matar with Paratha, roti, steamed rice or Soft rolls
- Tip: Adding Sugar in green veg preparations serves 2 purposes 1) adds to the flavor of th dish and 2) green veggies retain its color
Click here to watch recipe video