Tomato Omelette is a typical Maharashtrian Breakfast preparation with absolutely no eggs in it. Though the name of the dish may seem somewhat misleading, considering the word “Omelette” in the title but the taste is absolutely bang on.
Tomato Omelette is a Vegetarians answer to typical egg based Omelette that Eggetarians and Non-vegetarians seemed to take pride in. This egg less version of Omelette is hugely popular in Maharashtra and is an important item on breakfast/snack section on menu cards of eateries serving Maharashtrian food.
Tomato Omelette is prepared with Besan (Gram Flour) and Tomatoes, and the batter is seasoned with Onions, chilies and few Indian spice powders. The batter may also have inclusions like rice flour which is added to impart a crunchiness to the end product. This preparation is quite similar to Besan Cheela– a North Indian preparation except for inclusion of tomatoes.
I often chose to make Tomato Omelette when I have forgotten (or I am lazy to) to prepare for breakfast next morning. This is a quick option that doesn’t require a great deal of preparation, especially during morning rush hours. It just gets done in a jiffy.
Let’s go through this quick yet delicious preparation.
- 1 Cup=100gms Gram Flour
- 2 Large=150gms Tomatoes-finely chopped
- ¼th Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves-finely chopped
- Cooking Oil
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½-inch Ginger root
- 5-6 Cloves of Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 5 Green Chilies
- Water as required
- We will grind a Masala Paste. In a grinder jar, put Green Chilies, Cumin Seeds, Ginger and Garlic. Add some water and grind into fine paste. We have used 1 tbsp Water while grinding. Let's make the Tomato Omelette batter
- In a large bowl, put tomatoes. Add chopped Coriander Leaves, Green Masala paste, Turmeric Powder, rice flour and Gram Flour. Add 1 tbsp Hot Oil, Salt to taste and mix well. Add water to form a thin batter. I have used 1½ Cups of Water. Keep the batter to rest for 15 mins.
- We have greased a pan with 1-2 tbsp Cooking Oil. After the Pan is hot, reduce the heat. Omelette must be cooked on low heat. Stir the batter well before adding it in the pan. Pour a ladle full of batter in the Pan.
- Allow the underside to cook on low heat. After 2 mins, the edges start to become brown in color. Change the sides. Omelette must be cooked from other side for 2 mins as well. Remove it from the pan. Similarly cook other crepes
- Tomato Omelette are ready to be served. It can be relished with Tomato ketchup, Chutney. You can eat it with Rotis. This is an ideal lunch-box recipe. Make these delicious Tomato Omelette and share your feedback with us
- Tip of the Day:
- a) Tip of the Day: Add Rice flour or Semolina while making batter. This will make the crepe crispy
- b) Also add 1 tbsp Hot oil in the batter
Click to watch recipe video