Baby Potato Fry is a delicious and quick snack/breakfastsnacks/breakfast recipe that you would love to possess in your list of tiffin recipes– recipes that lets you wind up quickly especially in morning rush hours.
As I had stated in one of my earlier posts, Baby Potato is my new found love and I have been sharing recipes with baby potato as primary ingredient, too frequently in last few months. This includes recipes like Bhogichi Bhaji, Chatpate Aloo, Dum Aloo and this week it’s Baby Potato fry. I guess I will be take a hiatus from it now and switch over to another ingredient.
The recipe idea came from a wonderful cookbook – The Courtly Cuisine: Kayastha Kitchens through India. This recipe has been stated to have evolved in kitchens of Kayastha community residing in Southern India. Inspired by the recipe, I have made quite a bit of modification to it. I have cooked it with a wonderful spice blend named –Panch Phoran (blend of 5 spices). Besides Panch Phoran, spices like Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder and Garam Masala Powder is used in the recipes. This provides it a spicy, tangy flavor to the fried Potatoes.
I like to prepare it for my Breakfast and it pairs up nicely with Plain Parathas. You can also pack it in your lunch box and carry it to your workplace.
- 400 gms Baby Potatoes-Washed and Cleaned
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-inch Ginger root-grated
- Cooking Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Pinch (1/8th tsp) Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Nigella Seeds
- 1½ tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Heat 2 tbsp Cooking Oil in a Pan. Add Turmeric Powder and mix well. Add Potatoes- we have pricked Potatoes with a fork.
- Add some Salt and mix well. Cook Potatoes until it is completely done. We have fried Potatoes on low heat for 20 mins. Potato jackets have become wrinkled. With a toothpick, we will check if Potatoes have cooked. Potatoes are nicely cooked. Remove it from the Pan.
- Now, we will temper Potatoes with some spices. Heat 1 tbsp Cooking Oil in a Pan.
- Add Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Nigella Seeds, Asafoetida Powder, Grated Ginger. Fry Ginger for 30 seconds
- Now, we will add dry spice powder-Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala Powder, Salt to taste. Mix all the spices together.
- Add Fried Potatoes. Coat Potatoes with Masala. Potato jackets have a sweet taste. If you prefer you can peel off the skin and then fry the Potatoes.
- Cook Potatoes with masala for 2-3 mins. Take it off the heat and serve hot
Click to watch recipe video
Leave a Reply