Sattu is one of the staple flour consumed in northern states of India like UP, Bihar and Punjab. Conventionally it is prepared by sand roasting chana (whole black gram) and grinding it into a fine flour. However, in recent times some more variations of sattu in form of barley flour is also available.
Growing up in Mumbai, I can recall how difficult it was for us to procure this flour and the only source of this flour was any relative who was returning back from UP-Bihar from their vacation. He would have to cater to numerous such requests from folks who would wait with all eagerness for them to return.
I can remember how excited I would get at the replenishment of our stock of Sattu and Gud (Jaggery) and for next few weeks preparations made of Sattu like Sattu ka Paratha, Sattu ka Laddu, Sattu Litti, a savory drink made of sattu and countless such recipes would adorn our dining table. As these stocks would deplete we would get again in our pursuit of Sattu. With the varying technological advancement, it has now become easy for us to get Sattu throughout the year buying it online through any e-commerce website.
This Diwali, as we were pondering with the idea of various sweetmeat that we prepare for this fiesta, I recalled we still have stock of sattu lying in our pantry. So we decided to make this laddu preparation with Sattu, Khoya, and Jaggery.
A delicious yet quick preparation that has all three ingredients in equal proportion, the mixture flavored with chopped nuts and cardamom powder. Make these absolutely yummy laddus for your Diwali celebrations and share your feedback with us in the comment section below.
Click here for Diwali dessert-Gulab Jamun
- 200 grams Sattu
- 200 grams organic brown jaggery (grated)
- 200 grams grated Khoa
- 10 cashewnuts and 10 almonds (coarsely grounded)
- 1 tbsp chironji (charoli) slightly toasted
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 100 grams clarified butter (ghee)
- In a non stick pan, put ghee.Allow it to melt.
- Now add grounded nuts (cashew and almonds) and fry for 30 seconds.Now add Sattu and roast on low heat.
- Sattu will absorb the clarified butter. Add Jaggery and Khoa. Allow jaggery to melt completely.Mix
- Jaggery and Khoa has combined nicely with sattu. Add chironji and cardamom powder.Mix and turn off the heat.
- Laddu mixture is hot. We will wait till it becomes warm before we start making laddus.
- Take a small portion.Rolling between your palms shape them into ladoos. Garnish with Almonds slice.
- Sattu is a rich source of protein.Satiate your hunger pangs with these delicious laddus..
Click here to watch recipe video