It’s time for fun frolic and festivities. It’s time for Diwali- the most significant fiesta on a Hindu calendar.
Suran or Yam has a great significance in common households of Uttar Pradesh. While last Diwali, we had made Dum vale suran, a rather unconventional way of preparing Suran, this year we go completely traditional with Tariwale suran. Though this preparation is “getting back to basic” stuff, it is absolutely a foodie delight-full of flavors of Indian spices.
Urad ki kachori and tariwale suran are two most prominent dishes to appear on a UP platter during Laxmi Pujan. Try out this traditional recipe and celebrate Diwali in UP style.
Find more Vegetarian recipes
- 500 grams Suran/Jimikand (Elephant Foot Yam). Cleaned and washed. Cut into 1-1.5 inches cube. Keep them in salted water.
- 125 grams onions sliced into lengths (for tadka) + 125 grams onions cut in cubes (for masala )
- ¼ th cup fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 small turmeric root
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp mace
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds for tempering + 1 tsp cumin seeds for masala
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp dried lichen(dagad phool)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 8 dried red chilies (4 red chilies of spicy variant and 4 byadagi red chilies for color. Soak red chilies in warm water)
- Mustard seeds
- We will being with grinding masalas. In a grinder jar, add soaked red chilies. Add poppy seeds, cinnamon stick, star anise,black cardamom, cloves, mace,coriander seeds, black peppercorns, 1 tsp cumin seeds,garlic, dried lichen,Onions(cut in cubes) and turmeric root (crushed in small pieces).
- Grind the ingredients into fine paste. You may add water while grinding.
- Heat 4-5 tbsp mustard oil in a large pressure cooker.Heat oil until you begin to notice first wisps of smoke.Thereafter reduce the heat to bring down the temperature until smoke subsides.This would enhance the flavor of the dish.
- As the oil attains medium temperature, add bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- As cumin seeds splutters,add onion(sliced into lengths).Fry until onions turn brown.
- Onions turn brown in 10 mins on medium heat.Add Suran (Yam) cubes.Fry for 4-5 minutes.
- After 4-5 mins add masala paste,salt to taste. Cook until oil oozes out from the masala. You can add up to ¼th cup water during bhunao.
- Bhunao masala for 7-8 mins.Add 1.5-2 cups of water.Mix
- Add chopped coriander leaves.Allow to cook until one boil.
- As gravy starts to boil, seal the pressure cooker with lid and cook until 3 whistles on medium heat.
- After 3 whistles, turn off heat and let the pressure die down completely before serving.
- Tariwale Suran can be served with Phulka, Parantha or steamed rice.This preparation is served specially during Laxmi Pujan in Uttar Pradesh.
Click here to watch recipe video
The recipe is great. It turned out very tasty. Thanks
It is going to be a regular item in our house henceforth.
Kartikey Tanna says
Really liked the dish
The way it is explained in great details I really enjoyed making it.
Smita Singh says
We are really glad you liked the dish. Thanks for such kind words of appreciation. It keeps up motivated and inspired to do more. Thank You again
I tried it out today, and everyone liked it! Thanks for the recipe
Mynoo Maryel says
I LOVE your recipe, its the best suran recipe I have experienced, It surprises and delights many meat eaters who love it too. Thankyou for sharing so generously.
Smita Singh says
Thank you so much for your kind words , and truly said that this recipe attracts everyone .