Chicken Lollipop is a deep fried Indo-Chinese starter made of marinated and batter-fried Chicken Winglets, that are frenched- cut and expose along the length of bone of chicken wings. The flesh is pushed to one end of the bone and this gives it resemblance of a lollipop.
Though we classify this dish and such type of dishes as Chinese food in India, fact remains that there is no sign of any such dish in authentic Chinese cuisine. Chicken lollipop and similar dishes like Chicken Manchurian, Chopsuey, Hakka Noodles etc. are all inventions that have were made to suit Indian palate.
Dishes like Chicken Manchurian is attributed to Nelson Wang, man of Chinese descent who owned a restaurant named China Garden in Mumbai. It is said, when one his customer requested Wang for something new and off the menu, he obliged by frying chicken cubes coated in corn flour and tossing it together in a sauce made with onion, chilies, garlic, vinegar and soy sauce.
This was sensational from Mr. Wang as his newly created dish had created a stir amongst the patrons and it quickly became a popular dish on the restaurant menu. Gradually, it had spread to parts of other country. Indo-Chinese food while being a complete opposite of authentic Chinese has a dedicated fan base of its own.
Recently, we received a recipe request from one of our viewers for Chicken Lollipop. She was very insistent on her request and would remind us at least few times a week of her pending request. When she reminded us again last week, it was then we thought, we should be putting our scheduled recipes on hold for the moment and must focus on her recipe request.
So here is Chicken Lollipop on the request of our dear viewer- Ashwini Pund. Make this delicious Indo-Chinese appetizer for your family and friends that is sure to impress them. Let us know your feedback in comment section below.
- 11 Chicken Lollipops (360 gms)
- 1½ tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½-tsp Black Peppercorns-coarsely grounded
- 1½-tsp Soy Sauce
- ½-tsp Vinegar
- Salt to taste
- ½ Cup=70 gms Plain Flour
- 3-tbsp=30gms Corn Flour
- 2½-tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Egg
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic-finely chopped
- ½-inch Ginger root-finely chopped
- ¼th Cup Spring Onions-finely chopped
- 1-tsp Red Chili Sauce
- 1½-tsp Schezwan Chutney
- 1-tsp Soy Sauce
- 3-tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Cooking Oil
- We will start with marinating chicken lollipop. In a large bowl, put Ginger-Garlic paste, Soy Sauce, crushed Peppercorns, Vinegar and Salt to taste. Mix well. Marinade Chicken Lollipop in this mixture for 30-40 mins.
- Now, we will prepare a batter for chicken lollipop. In a large bowl, put Corn Flour, Plain Flour, Red Chili Powder, Salt to taste. Add 1 whole Egg.
- Mix all the ingredients. We are not adding any red food color but are relying on red chili powder for the red color. I have taken 1¼th Cup water. Now add water and make a batter of coating consistency. Ensure this batter is lump free.
- Verify that the batter is of coating consistency. Batter must coat the back of the spoon. I have used ¾th cup water for making this batter.
- Heat Oil for deep frying on a medium heat. Now, dip marinated lollipop in this batter and coat well. Fry lollipop in Oil. Fry 3-4 Lollipops on low-medium heat. Fry for 3-4 minutes. Remove fried Lollipops from Oil after 3-4 minutes. Similarly, fry remaining Chicken Lollipops.
- We have fried all the Lollipops. Now, we will serve 4 of these as it is and toss remaining in a Sauce.
- Heat 2-tbsp Cooking Oil in a Pan. Add chopped Garlic and Ginger and fry for a min. Now add chopped spring onions and fry for 30 seconds on a medium-high heat. Reserve some for garnishing. Now, add Red Chili Sauce, Soy Sauce, Schezwan Chutney, Tomato Ketchup, pinch of salt and cook well.
- Add 2-3 tbsp water while cooking the Sauce mixture and cook for couple of minutes on medium-high heat. After couple of mins, sauce becomes a bit thicker. Now add chicken pieces. Coat fried lollipops with the sauce. Turn off the heat and serve hot.
Click to watch recipe video