Today’s recipe is India’s favorite breakfast dish. Yes you guessed it right, soft, spongy, fluffy white, circular in shape “Idli” and it tastes delicious with coconut chutney or tomato chutney.
Conventionally Idlis are made with Rice and Urad Dal. These ingredients are soaked and grounded into a fine paste and then fermented overnight. Next morning the batter is put into molds and steamed using an Idli-steamer, or this can even be achieved with pressure cooker.
There are several different variations that exist of this dish. One such variation is Poha Idli which is made with Poha (flattened rice), Rava and Urad Dal.
All 3 ingredients are soaked separately and grounded into thick paste. These batters are combined and fermented overnight. Next morning the batter is ready to be steamed in Idli-steamer.
Make soft and fluffy poha idlis for Sunday breakfast and enjoy them with coconut chutney and/or tomato chutney.
Click here for other breakfast recipes
Serves: 12 pcs
- 1 cup Idli Rava(Semolina)
- ¼ th cup Thick Poha (thick flattened rice flakes)
- ¼th cup Urad Dal (split black gram skinless)
- Cooking Oil
- wash and soak urad dal, idli rava and poha for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours drain out excess water from poha and idli rava.Grind poha and idli rava together into a fine batter.We can use water to form a smooth batter.
- Take the batter in a large vessel.
- Grind Urad dal.Make a smooth batter adding water to it.Add the urad dal batter to the rava-poha batter.
- Ensure that final batter is not thick.Keep the batter covered for 8 hours or overnight in warm place.
- We have allowed the batter to ferment overnight.Add salt to taste.
- Whisk gently. If you stir too much and too vigorously, idlis won't be soft.
- Heat a steamer with some water.Ensure that water level should not touch the molds.
- Grease molds with little oil.Pour batter into these molds.
- Lower these molds into the steamer.Cover and cook on medium flame for 12-15 minutes.
- After 13 minutes, turn off the heat.Allow them to cool down and demold later.
- Make idlis in batches
- soft and fluffy Poha Idli is ready.Idlis can be served with Coconut chutney and Tomato chutney
Click here to watch recipe video