Omelette Curry is an ideal dish for those quick meals when you are in rush and want something quick yet delicious. This thick-gravy egg preparation can be served with Parathas, Phulkas or steamed Rice. It pairs up perfectly with Biryanis. I, personally like to eat such thick gravy preparations with Soft roll (Pav).
We are celebrating the holy month of Ramadan on our YouTube Channel. Like any Indian festivities, it is unimaginable to not talk about food and feast in the month of Ramadan. We are making some delicious mocktail, salad, snacks, zesty curry, Pulao, Biryani and dessert recipes for this month. While some recipes are less time consuming and quick-fix meals, ideal for Sehri ‘pre-dawn meals’, some other recipes are more elaborate and richer.
Today I am sharing “Omelette Curry “. The idea of this dish is really interesting. Make the curry separately, cook Omelette and then add the strips of Omelette to the curry and simmer just for a couple of minute. In Ramadan days, it’s very necessary to cook the recipes in less time, especially for Sehri – pre-dawn meals. There is no fixed recipe for the curry. You can cook it as per your usual home style gravies. Some people like it spicy and some may prefer Makhni like lacy gravies. It’s up to the home chef’s creativity that how he/she plays with the available ingredients in pantry.
I have made this recipe spicy – like a Dhaba style preparations with chili oil floating on the gravy. I make it for my brunch on weekends and relish it with Pav.
- Omelette: -
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Small=50gms Onion-finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies-finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander leaves-chopped
- Cooking Oil
- Curry: -
- 1 Large=100gms Onion-sliced
- ½ Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1 Large=100gms Tomatoes-chopped
- ½ Cup=40gms grated dry Coconut
- 3 Green Chilies
- 8-10 Cloves of Garlic
- 1-inch Ginger-root-chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ th tsp Asafoetida Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tbsp Red Chili Powder-spicy
- 1 tsp dry Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala Powder
- We will roast ingredients for masala paste. Heat a large Pan. Add grated dry coconut. Dry roast until Coconut turns brown in color. Remove it in a plate.
- In the same pan, add 2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil and heat the Oil. Add Ginger and Garlic. Fry until Garlic turns brown in color. Add sliced Onions and fry until Onions become brown in color. Add some Salt for faster browning of Onions. Salt brings out the moisture from the Onions and it becomes evenly brown.
- Onions become brown on medium heat in 8 mins. Now, add Coriander Leaves. Add roasted Coconut and mix well. Remove from heat and allow all the ingredients to cool down before grinding into masala paste.
- Transfer the cooled ingredients into a grinder jar. Add Water and grind into a fine paste. Masala Paste is ready. We have used ¾th Cup water while grinding.
- Heat 3 tbsp Oil in a Pan. Add Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Asafoetida Powder and Green Chilies (slit and add),some chopped Coriander leaves and mix well. Now add Turmeric Powder and Red Chili Powder. Adding red chili powder directly in Oil gives a deep red color to your gravy. Do not add red chili powder on high heat. Lower the heat before adding.
- Add chopped Tomatoes. Add Salt to fasten the softening process. Reduce the heat and Cook covered. After 3 mins, uncover the lid.
- Add Grounded Masala paste, dry Coriander Powder and Garam Masala Powder. Cook the Masala paste. We have cooked masala paste for 5-6 mins. Oil begins to ooze out from Masala paste.
- We will add Hot water for gravy. We are adding 1½ Cups of water. Consistency of this gravy must be thick. Add Salt to taste. Lower the heat and cook covered. Let's make Omelette now
- In a large bowl, crack open 4 Eggs. Add Milk, Salt, chopped Onions, Coriander Leaves and Green Chilies. Whisk all the ingredients. Omelette becomes fluffier due to whisking.
- Spread and heat 1 tsp oil on a Pan. We will make 2 Omelette from this mixture. Spread evenly on the Pan. Remove from the Pan after the Omelette is cooked from both sides.
- Cut the Omelettes into small pieces. Put these pieces in gravy
- We have cooked gravy on low heat. Now, add Omelette pieces and stir well. Cook covered for 1 min. Uncover after 1 min.
- Omelette pieces have soaked well. Omelette Curry is ready to be served. Switch off the heat and serve hot
- Best part of this dish is that you can make and refrigerate the gravy. While serving make a fresh Omelette, mix and reheat the gravy. That's it! Your guests will be pleased with this super quick dish
Click to watch recipe video
Leave a Reply