Mexican Chaat is a fusion dish that combines Mexican Nachos (corn chips) with Indian chaat. Here’s a dish that has got all the elements to be a show stealer for the next mocktail party that you plan to host. The fusion of sweet, tangy and spicy chaat with the crunch of Nachos is all you need in these monsoons.
In this world of globalization, fusion food is not relatively a new term. It has been a part of world food since almost 4 decades now. By definition fusion food combines elements from different culinary traditions (source wiki) . In fact, it reached its pinnacle in eighties when mashups were everywhere. Since then, the concept of fusion has witnessed fall and rise of its prominence globally. While earlier, fusion food was often misunderstood, now it has entered a more mature phase and Chefs are thoughtfully integrating the flavors from across the globe.
With that thought, while we are still in the midst of the chaat series, we have planned for two types of fusion Chaats, with the Mexican Chaat being the first one. Mexican Chaat combines all the different flavors of Chaat-spicy, tangy and sweet with the crunch of Nachos.
It’s one of those ‘cook-under 10’ recipes that I love to have in my cooking arsenal. When I have guests dropping in at a very short notice and cooking anything elaborate for them seems unrealistic then such recipes come as a savior. With the Indian ness and the flavor of Mexico thrown in together, this chaat is going to please your guests and tantalize their taste buds.
As part of this series, we have made chutneys in the first installment. These chutneys are the soul of Indian chaats and cannot be skipped at any cost. So before you jump into this recipe, check out the chutney recipes.
Enjoy this delightful Mexican Chaat with your family and share your feedback with us in the comment section below.
- 25-30 Corn Chips (Nachos)
- 1 Cup=100gms Sweet Corn Kernels
- 2 medium sized=180gms Potatoes-boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized=80 gms Tomatoes-finely chopped
- ¼th Cup Olives-sliced
- 1 Large=100 gms Onions-finely chopped
- ½ Cup=100 gms Curd-whisked, chilled
- Red Chili Garlic Chutney
- Green Coriander-Mint Chutney
- Sweet and Tangy Tamarind-Date Chutney
- 2 tbsp chopped Coriander Leaves-chopped
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, put whisked curd. Put Chaat Masala and Salt and mix well. Refrigerate for 15 mins
- In a large bowl, we will mix all ingredients. Add boiled sweet corn kernels, chopped onions, boiled potatoes, chopped tomatoes. Add chopped Olives. You can also put jalapenos
- Now, add crushed Corn Chips. We are using plain Corn Chips. You can even use flavored corn chips. Mix well. Corn Chips have enough Salt in it so be watchful while adding salt in Chaat
- Now, we will add different chutneys in this chaat. Add Red Chili-Garlic Chutney. This is a spicy chutney, so add small quantity. Add 2-3 tbsp Green Coriander-Mint Chutney. Now, add Sweet and Tangy Tamarind-Date Chutney-(2-3 tbsp) and mix well.
- Add whisked curd and mix well. Ensure you taste chaat after mixing the curd. If required, add Salt
- Mexican Chaat is ready to serve. Mexican Chaat is a perfect party starter
Click to watch recipe video