“महाराष्ट्र हा पहाडांचा देश आहे!!”
The Sahyadri , with all its rocky mountains, is a heaven for trekking! All trekking lovers eagerly await for monsoon to have the fun in the rains.
Trekking not only fascinates adventure freaks, or naturaphiles but also enthralls chow-hounds who go for trekking but for different reasons. We go for trekking fascinated by post trek rituals (read feasting on scrumptious meal on the tapris that serve traditional and authentic Maharashtrian food).
Hot kanda bhajiyas, vada pav and not to forget Bharli Vangi,Pithle, Thecha accompanied with Jowar Bhakri!! OOh slurp slurp.. . Whether its Sinhgad, Raigad or Pratapgad , you can not miss this Bharli Vangi…. Air filled with smoky flavor of roasted brinjals,coconut,sesame seeds and peanuts call your empty stomach while trekking down!!
- 8 Brinjals/Eggplant/Aubergine Slit all the brinjals lengthwise
- 3 tbspoon peanuts
- 2 tbspoon white sesame seeds
- 2 tspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 cup dessicated dry coconut
- 2 medium sized Onions finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- 1-1.5 inch piece of ginger
- Cooking Oil
- Dry Spices:
- ½ tspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tspoon red chilly powder
- 1 tspoon garam masala
- 1 tspoon coriander powder
- Keep the Brinjals immersed in a bowl of salted water so that they don't get de-colored. Meanwhile prepare masala paste.
- Dry roast peanuts in a pan, until they turn light brown.When peanuts turn light brown remove it in a plate.
- Dry Roast White sesame seeds until it turns light brown.When sesame seeds turn light brown remove it in a plate.
- Dry Roast desiccated coconut until it turns golden brown.
- Make a fine paste with all the dry roasted ingredients, ginger-garlic, and Onions.
- Note: Use only half of the cut Onions, other half will be used later.
- Make a fine, smooth paste with all these ingredients and making use of enough water. Do not make this paste too thin.
- Once the paste is ready, add all the ingredients specified under "Dry Spices" , roasted cumin powder and salt as per taste to this paste. Mix them well.
- Masala paste that will be used as a stuff is ready.
- Stuff this paste inside the Brinjals evenly.
- Heat 2 tbspoon Oil in a Pan. Add Onions to it and roast until it turns tender.
- When Onions become tender, add stuffed Brinjals.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and cook it covered for 3-4 mins or until tomatoes become soft.
- When tomatoes become soft, add remaining masala paste to the pan, 1 and ½ cup of water and cook the gravy covered for 15 mins.
- mins later when Brinjals are cooked nicely, turn off the flame.
- Eat this delicious preparation "Maharashtrian Bharli Vangi" with Roti/Bhakri/Phulka.
You can watch recipe video here