Holi,a Spring festival,is enjoyed all over India on the occasion of “बसंतोत्सव शुभारंभ”!!होलिका दहन, celebrated on previous night,signifies the victory of good over evil.
Holi is also a festival of colors, and we make it a point to make this day as colorful as it can get. Different colors, gulal, abeer can be seen everywhere, and streets get colorful with children flaunting their pichkaris, throwing colored water filled balloons. If you are allergic to color, stay back at home and don’t step out because if you do, you won’t be spared and you can’t feel offended.
This day we go to our neighbors and relatives to meet them, to play and laugh, to forget and forgive.This day we also consume a drink known as Thandai, which is a drink made with “Bhaang” (leaves and flowers (buds) of the female cannabis plant), milk and lot of dry fruits. We are sharing Thandai recipe which is equally delicious, however minus Bhaang.:-)
- 1 ltr Milk
- 15 cashewnuts
- 20 Pistachio
- 20 Almonds
- 2 tbspoon melon seeds
- 2 tbspoon poppy seeds
- Soak all the ingredients mentioned in steps 2-6 overnight.Peel off the skin from Almonds and Pistachio next morning.
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 7-8 green cardamom
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- Saffron Strands
- 125 gm Sugar
- 2 tbspoon rose water
- Grind black peppercorn, cinnamon, green cardamom into fine powder.
- Grounded powder is ready.Now add Almonds, Cashewnuts, Melon seeds, poppy seeds, pistachio, rose water and grind them into a very fine paste.
- We can make use of small quantity of milk for making fine paste.
- Heat Milk in a pan. Add sugar and let it simmer for a while until the sugar melts.
- When sugar melts, add some saffron strands and mix it well
- Now add Thandai Paste to the Milk and mix it well.
- When Thandai paste is mixed evenly, turn off the flame and let the milk cool down.
- Blend the Thandai in a blender so that paste gets properly mixed and to get rid of lump formation.
- Strain the Thandai
- Refrigerate the Thandai for 2 hours. After that it is ready to serve
- Garnish Thandai with Chopped Pistachio and saffron strands
- Happy Holi!!
You can watch entire recipe video here