Paneer Bhurji is a popular Paneer based street food dish, equally popular, insanely delicious and vegetarian’s answer to Egg Bhurji . There is different variation of Paneer Bhurji-a dry version which is commonly available in street food of Mumbai and the gravied version of Paneer Bhurji which is commonly eaten in Amritsar.
Bhurji is a term reserved for style of cooking in which several ingredients are jumbled and mixed together to form a dry or gravy preparation which is usually relished with tawa-roasted Pav or Parathas. Anda Bhurji and Paneer Bhurji are two of the most commonly prepared variations of Bhurji.
Paneer Bhurji usually tastes well when made with soft Paneer- I usually prefer home-made Paneer for this dish. The fresh paneer is roughly crumbled or grated and added to the mixture of onion-tomato and several aromatic spices. I also like to add the tangy Pav Bhaji masala to the Bhurji which provides a much desired kick to this preparation. It tastes well with butter roasted Pav or some plain Parathas.
The best part of this recipe is that it can be quickly made in less than 30 mins and served with some Pav it is a perfect hearty meal that can keep one satiated for 3-4 hours.
Enjoy Dhaba style Paneer Bhurji as a quick meal option with Pav and share your feedback with us in comment section below.
- 250 gms Paneer
- 1 Large=100gms Onion -finely chopped
- 2 medium sized=150 gms Tomatoes- finely chopped
- 1 small=40 gms Capsicum- finely chopped
- ¼th Cup fresh Coriander leaves-finely chopped
- Cooking Oil
- 2-3 Green Chilies-finely chopped
- 1-inch Ginger root-finely chopped
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic-finely chopped
- ¼ th tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-tsp Kashmiri red Chili Powder
- 1-tsp dry Coriander Powder
- 1-tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1-tsp Pav Bhaji Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Let's grate Paneer now. We will use grater with medium-sized holes. Let's put the Pan on heat.
- In the hot pan, add 2 tbsp Butter. Add 1-2 tbsp Cooking Oil. Let the butter melt. Now add chopped garlic and chopped Ginger in Oil+Butter mix. Fry for couple of mins.
- After couple of mins, add chopped Green Chilies. Add chopped Onions and fry until Onions become soft. Onions become soft in 2-3 mins on medium heat. Now add chopped Capsicum. Cook Capsicum for few mins to get rid of raw smell.
- We can also add frozen/fresh green peas. Allow to cook for 2-3 mins. Now add chopped Tomatoes. Add chopped Coriander leaves. Add some Salt to hasten the softening of Tomatoes and mix well.
- Reduce the heat and cook covered. We have cooked for 5-6 mins. Uncover now. Tomatoes have become soft.
- Now add dry spice powder. Add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, dry Coriander Powder. Add Garam Masala Powder and Salt to taste. Mix well and cook all ingredients. As Masala becomes dry add some water and cook the masala.
- Masala gets cooked in 5-6 mins. We can see oil oozing from the sides. Add grated Paneer. Add Pav Bhaji Masala and chopped Coriander leaves. Cover and cook on low heat for couple of mins. Uncover after 2 mins. Bhurji is moist and done.
- Finally add lemon juice and mix well. Remove from heat
- Now let's get the Pav ready. Add some butter to the pan and let it melt. Mix butter with some Bhaji. Put Pav in the pan and roast for a min. Remove Pav from the pan
- Dhaba style Paneer Bhurji is ready. Paneer Bhurji is best enjoyed with Pav, Roti and Parathas
Click to watch recipe video
Leave a Reply