I believe street food has been a great leveler in India!!
You would find people cutting across all caste, creed,religion sipping on tea at any tea-stall or devouring vada-pav on vada-pav stalls.These street food vendors can be seen anywhere and everywhere, however each of these vendors specialise in some very specific food preparations that they make. And if you thought that food innovation is best left to professional chefs, then you are wrong! These tapri walas of India are masters of variations too!!!
Indian street food culture is as vibrant and diverse as the food culture that has existed in the traditional Indian household kitchens. Street food resembles the culture of the state, or region to which it belongs. Street foods of each of these states have set a distinction of its own. Kothu Parotta of Chennai, Tunday Kabab of Lucknow, Litti-Chokha of Bihar, Chole Kulche of Delhi and Vada-Pav of Mumbai each of these preparations are hugely popular in these states
This recipe is our tribute to Indian street food. I have picked up this egg preparation “Disco Anda Fry” by observing the street vendors in Mumbai. I have taken the liberty to make some slight modifications, but rest assured you would get the same taste that you would get on streets.
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Fresh Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tsp Chat Masala
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 Small rolls/Pav
- Cooking Oil
- Heat 3 tbsp oil on Iron Griddle. You may choose to use non-stick pan.
- When Oil gets heated, add chopped coriander leaves and chopped onions and roast for a min.
- Onions should remain crunchy and not turn tender. Break open the eggs on top of onions.
- Spread the egg yolk.
- Now add chopped green chilies. Add a pinch of chat masala, red chili powder and salt.
- Cut open the pav/small rolls and lay them on top of eggs. Squish it flat using potato masher.
- Add some more oil on top of pav/small rolls, sprinkle a pinch of chat masala and red chilli powder and squish it down again.
- Flip it over and cook for not more than 30 seconds.
- Cut egg disco fry into 2 halves for serving. This is optional and you could choose to skip this.
- Disco Egg Fry is ready. It is best served hot with tomato ketchup
You can see the recipe video here:
street food says
Thanks for the cool informative post. Keep up the great work 🙂
Hello, I think your article was outstanding.