If you have ever consulted any dietitian then you have most certainly heard this quote from them “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.”
The thought behind this quote is very credible.If you are one of those office goers who step out of home skipping their breakfast, you need to quit that habit, because you are depriving your body of energy source in the morning when you need it the most.You should start your day with healthy and balanced breakfast that should combine carbs and fiber with protein.
Rava (Semolina) plays a vital role in Indian cuisine. Whether in breakfast, in brunch or even in desserts.I used to love only rava idli,rava dosa or rava kheer (porridge) but I always kept a distance from rava upma. Then my mother played a trick!! She started loading all my favorite veggies like fresh green peas, carrots and sometimes french beans to make the upma more interesting! And when she served it with fresh coconut chutney , I could not resist myself from having that delicious treat!
A few years ago, I got hospitalized due to severe Jaundice ( I wish I could erase out those bad memories). When I started my recovery ,doctor suggested my mom to give me rava upma or porridge in my meals as rava helps to regain the energy and also helps for heart and kidney functioning. It is a balanced diet for toddlers. Rava not only gives the energy but it is also useful for losing weight healthily and helps in controlling blood sugar level for diabetics.
I must tell you folks that the list of health benefits, one can derive from Upma is pretty exhaustive.So I thought of sharing with you the simple yet tasty recipe ” Vegetable Rava Upma” with you. Serve it with coconut chutney to your family in breakfast and give a nice head start for their day! As I believe “All that starts well, ends well!!”
- 1 cup Semolina(Rava/Sooji)
- ½ cup Orange Carrots cut in cubes
- ½ cup French beans (Farasbi)
- ¼th Cup Fresh green peas
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- 10-15 fresh curry leaves
- 3 Green chilies
- ½ inch Ginger root cut in small pieces
- ½ tspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tspoon Urad Dal
- 8-10 fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbspoon Clarified butter (Ghee)
- Dry Roast Semolina in a pan until it turns light brown.
- After Semolina gets roasted, collect it in a plate.
- Add 1 tbspoon Clarified butter to the pan.Add fenugreek seeds and Urad dal and roast on low flame until Urad dal becomes brown.
- Crush Green Chilies and Ginger in pestle and Mortar to form a coarse paste.
- When Urad Dal is roasted,add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add crushed paste of green chilies and ginger root and roast them in the pan.
- Now add French beans and carrots and let them cook for couple of minutes.
- Add Fresh Green Peas and stir it for 1 minute.
- Now add chopped onions and cook them for a minute.
- Now add 3 cups of water. Water must be added in ratio of 3:1 with semolina.3 cup water for every 1 cup semolina.
- Allow the water to come to boil on medium flame.
- When water starts to boil, add curry leaves, salt as per taste, 1 tbspoon clarified butter and mix them all well.
- Add Semolina to the pan in batches and keep stiring. This is important to prevent forming up of lumps.
- Subsequently, semolina should absorb entire water in the pan. Now cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In 2 minutes time Upma should be ready. Turn off the flame, and cover it for another 5 minutes before serving.
- Vegetable Upma is best enjoyed with Coconut chutney.
Click here to watch recipe video