Kala Jamun is a popular Indian Mithai made especially during the festivities of Diwali. Kala Jamun is a delicious and interesting variant to a more popular Mithai-Gulab Jamun.
While Gulab Jamun has a soft and melt-in-the-mouth texture, Kala Jamun has a firm exterior and is deep fried until it attains a deep black color which differs from golden brown color of Gulab Jamun. Besides, its texture and the color, these two variety differ in its Shape-Kala Jamun has a round shape and is bigger in size than Gulab Jamun (similar in size to a Golf ball).
Kala Jamun can be made as stuffed Jamuns by stuffing it with a filling of Paneer and Pistachios.
Kala Jamun and Gulab Jamuns are typically made with Khoya, though there exists some variety that replace Khoya with Aloo (check Aloo Ke Gulab Jamun). Gulab Jamun has always been my preferred choice of Mithai for the special occasions like Diwali, Dussehra or Holi.
I have shared Gulab Jamun and Aloo Ke Gulab Jamun on past occasions, so it’s now time to share Kala Jamun. Let’s start making this delicious Mithai-Kala Jamun.
- 200 gms Khoya/Khoa made from 1-liter Cow Milk
- 50 gms Cottage Cheese
- 3-tbsp=45gms Plain Flour
- 2-tsp Pistachios
- For Sugar Syrup: -
- 1½ Cup=375gms Sugar
- ½-tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1-tsp Rose Water
- We will now make a Sugar Syrup. Put a large Pan on heat. Put Sugar in the pan. For 1½ Cup Sugar, add 1¼th Cup =310ml Water. Allow the Sugar to melt on medium heat.
- Sugar has melted in 3 mins on medium heat. We are not making syrup of 1 or 2 thread consistency. We will cook until it becomes sticky. Reduce the heat and cook syrup for few more mins.
- We have cooked syrup for total 7 mins. It has attained right consistency. Now add Cardamom Powder, Rose water and some crushed pistachios. Mix well and remove from heat. Keep the Sugar syrup covered.
- Sugar Syrup is now ready. We will now make Khoya balls. In a large plate, take Khoya. Different Indian Mithais require Khoya of different texture. Some Mithais require Danedar Khoa and some required hard texture Khoya.
- For Gulab Jamun or Kala Jamun we require soft (Cow Milk) Khoya. This Khoya has a high moisture content. This soft Khoya is also known as Hariyali Khoya or Chikna Khoya. Take Paneer and crumble it with your palms. Soften it by rubbing with your palms. We have softened the Paneer. Now, mix Khoya and Paneer.
- Khoya has a soft texture. These will result into soft Gulab Jamuns. Now add Plain flour in small quantities and make a dough. Dough for Kala Jamun is now ready. We have used 3-tbsp=45gms Plain Flour.
- We have also crushed some Pistachios. Take a small portion of dough and shape it into a large lemon sized ball. Flatten it on your palms and put little crushed pistachios. Shape it back into a round ball. Ensure there are no cracks on balls else it may break and disintegrate while frying. We have made almost 9 balls in this measurements.
- One of the most important aspect to be remembered while frying is temperature of Ghee. Put sufficient amount of Ghee in pan and heat it on medium heat. When Ghee is just hot, add Jamun balls. Ghee is not too hot and Jamun balls are gently simmering. If Ghee is too hot, it may result into fast and uneven browning of balls.
- Do not stir immediately. Allow it to simmer for a min before stirring. Change its sides while frying for a more even cooking and browning. We have been frying the Jamun for 6-7 mins now on low heat. These Jamuns have light golden brown color. This is the color of Gulab Jamun. For Kala Jamun, we have to fry until it turns black in color. Continue to fry for few more mins.
- I have fried Jamuns for 15 mins on low heat. It has attained a dark color. This recipe is really simple but takes some effort while frying. Remove the fried Jamuns in a plate. Similarly, fry all the Jamuns. While we are frying remaining batch of Jamuns, transfer the first batch to Sugar Syrup. Temperature of Sugar Syrup must be lukewarm. Soak the Jamun balls in sugar syrup for 4 hours atleast or preferably overnight.
- Cover and keep the Jamun balls soaked in sugar syrup.
Click to watch recipe video
Leave a Reply