Dear readers, as winters are waning off, its seasonal delicacies will gradually start disappearing from market. The bright and vibrant red Carrots won’t be red for long enough and fresh, green, tender Peas would no longer be available. Before the peas fade away completely from the vegetable vendor’s shelves, grab the fresh stock and freeze it.
If you have been buying frozen peas regularly from super markets, here’s what you should do ‘Stop buying it’. Freezing of fresh peas and storing it for a year is an easy task and you could do it in few simple steps.
Processing at home also saves us from the artificial color and harmful preservatives added in store bought frozen peas.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to freeze fresh peas
In a large pan, boil water enough to submerge the fresh green peas.
As water begins to boil, add green peas.
Add 1 tsp sugar to retain the color of green peas.
Cook green peas in hot water for just 2 minutes or until peas settle /float on surface of water. After 2 min switch off the flame.
Drain the peas quickly in a colander and immediately transfer in iced water.
Leave the peas in iced water until it gets cooled down completely. Drain them in a colander.
Fill the Ziploc bags with blanched peas.
Arrange the Ziploc bags date wise in deep freezer in FIFO manner- first in first out.
Serves: 900 gms
- 900 Grams Fresh Peas
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Large Pan for boiling
- Large Pot for Ice-bath
- Mesh Strainer
- Ziploc bags
- In a large pan, boil 3 liter water. Quantity of water may vary based upon size of the vessel used.Ensure that you add enough water that covers peas completely.
- Allow water to boil. Smaller bubbles are formed in few mins, We will wait some more time. As water begins to boil, add green peas and sugar.
- We will cook Green Peas in hot water for 2 mins ( or until Green Peas settle on surface of water)
- After 2 mins, switch off the heat
- Drain the peas quickly in a colander and immediately transfer into ice-water.
- Leave the peas in the ice water for 2 minutes. Drain the peas well in a colander.
- Take 2 Ziploc bags. Fill the bags with blanched peas. We have filled approx 450gms in each bag.Freeze and use for 6-8 months
- Freeze the bags now by FIFO storage principle. (First in First Out)
Click to watch recipe video