Learn to make Dhaba Style Shev Bhaji in today’s blog post. Khandeshi Shev Bhaji is a delicious and spicy curry preparation where we add a spicy variant of Shev to the onion-coconut masala. The USP, however of the dish is the usage of Kala Masala which not only adds a lot of flavors but also contributes to the spicy quotient of the dish.
Shev Bhaji is a popular veg preparation that is prepared in a few different ways in Maharashtra. Each household has a slightly different way of making Shev Bhaji. I will replicate in today’s blog, one that is more popular- Khandeshi Shev Bhaji. Traditionally, Shev is also prepared at home but that would make the recipe a bit cumbersome, so I am using store-bought shev. However, I am not making any adjustments in rassa (curry) preparation and have stayed as authentic as possible to achieve- Dhaba Style Shev Bhaji.
Dhaba style Shev Bhaji
- 200 gms Shev Bhaji
- 100 gms Onions chopped
- 1 inch Garlic
- 8-10 Garlic
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
- 1/4th tsp Asafoetida Powder`
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 tbsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 100 gms Tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Kala Masala
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil
- In a pan, dry roast coconut. Roast for 7-8 mins on low heat until it becomes brown in color. Remove from pan
- Add 2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil in a pan. Add ginger and garlic in the oil and fry until it becomes light brown in color.
- Add chopped Onions and fry until it becomes brown in color (8-10 mins)
- After 8-10 mins, remove from heat. Grind into a thick and fine paste.
- Put another pan on heat. Add 2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil in pan. For tempering- add curry leaves, asafoetida powder, cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Add grounded masala paste and mix well. Add 2-3 tbsp water to prevent masala from getting burnt. Cover and cook on low heat.
- After about 10-12 minutes of cooking, add sliced tomatoes. Cook covered until tomtoes become mushy.
- After 8-10 mins, remove lid from the pan. Add Kala Masala and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Cook covered on low heat. After 3-4 mins, we will add about 2-3 cups of hot water and mix well.
- Cook covered on low heat for 6-8 mins. Add Salt to taste. Add chopped coriander leaves.
Get some more Dhaba style recipes-
Leave a Reply