At this time of year in Pune (month of October), rains would have fast shut its door like a whimsical, adamant teenager who is difficult to persuade and winters though seem to be around the corner, would still be afar. Sensing this as an opportunity, heat and humidity would torment us for the month of October. However, this year, we are witnessing a turnaround. The rains has picked up in an unprecedented way by the end of its season and I am enjoying it.
We position our chairs in our balcony where we listen to the symphony of sounds created by the raindrops striking different objects around. We watch endlessly the concrete roads getting transformed into a steady stream of rivulets that flows silently and has a calming effect on my mind. I watch missus as she cups her palms and collects the drops of water dripping from the tips of hibiscus flower that blooms in all its glory. I know she would splash those tiny pearls collected in her palms on my face and would laugh like a child. I don’t mind it as I love sharing these moments with her, though I am not as expressive as her and often find myself at loss of words when it comes to express myself. I hope she reads into my eyes and realizes my love for her. There is something about these rains that melts your heart and makes you feel ethereal and romantic.
In today’s world of fast foods and supermarkets, ingredients are now available throughout the year in frozen form. But not many years ago, when we only had mom and pop stores and supermarket culture was still catching up in India, we would only procure and consume seasonal produce. This meant we would have to wait for fresh matar (green peas) till Diwali, summers would mean arrival of leafy vegetables, and with rains came the corn. I would be thrilled by the arrival of rains in month of June as it would give me opportunity to dig in to the sweet and juicy “corn on the cob” perfectly roasted on an iron stove. During rains, city is mushroomed by roadside vendors and eateries that dish out these roasted corns and foodies flock them in numbers. The roasting process is manual and primitive and is a treat to eyes. If you find smoky flavor of roasted sweet corns rubbed with salt, pepper and lemon unappealing to your appetite, then you can try out the subtle version of sweet corn which is steamed and flavored with butter, onions, peppers and salt.
I like corn, as one could dish out numerous dishes with corn as its chief ingredient or corn can be used to complement the flavor of your main dish. Today, we woke up to dark skies, gentle drizzle and wet streets. It was beckoning of a perfect lazy Sunday morning that made us dish out some delicious corn-mayonnaise sandwich. This sandwich is quick and easy to make. We need handful of chopped veggies, mixed with steamed sweet corn kernels, tossed with some fresh mayo and finally grilled to make an ideal Sunday Brunch. I had couple of sandwiches already and washed it down with a thick shake and it is already taking its effect on me. I am battling with sleep now as I come to the end of this post. So, if you find any typos in this post, you know whom to blame.
Find more snacks/breakfast recipes
Make this super easy breakfast recipe and share your feedback with us in the comment section below.
I am off tooo bedd nowww!!
- 4 white or brown bread slices
- ¾th cup steamed corn kernels
- ½ cup chopped capsicum
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ cup grated processed cheese
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper,
- Butter (to grill the sandwich)
- While we assemble the sandwich, heat up a grill pan.
- In a large bowl, put capsicum.Add tomatoes,steamed corn kernels,mayonnaise,black pepper powder,salt as per taste.Mix all the ingredients.
- Filling is ready. Lets make sandwiches.
- Apply butter on one of the slices.
- Put filling on the buttered slice. Put some grated cheese on top
- Cover the filling with other slice.
- Smear the grill pan with a tbsp of butter.
- Grill the sandwiches until it turns golden brown from the bottom side.You can use even normal tawa to make sandwiches.
- In 3-4 mins bottom side gets light brown.Flip over and grill the other side.
- When sandwich gets evenly grilled from both sides, remove it from the flame .
- Grill remaining sandwiches and serve.
Click here to watch recipe video