There could not have been a cold drink as universal as a Cold Coffee. Historically it is stated that Cold Coffee was originated in Algeria and was called as “Mazagran”. Known as a drink in Austria that must be downed “in one gulp” (source wiki). Strangely while this drink is not as popular as other drinks like iced tea, hot coffee and energy drinks in United States, Cold Coffee has a great popularity in Asian countries which have a rich tradition of cooling their beverages.
While every country has their own way of making this popular summer drink, in India Cold coffee is typically made with instant coffee that is mixed with cold milk. It can be consumed like this in its thin form or couple of scoops of Vanilla Ice-Cream is added to it to provide a thick shake consistency. While Vanilla flavor is a preferred choice of Ice-Cream, chocolate is the next opted flavor that makes the drink richer.
Cold Coffee has always been my most favored drink every time I have to step out to be in the sun for my day’s work. Nothing could be as refreshing as a glass of well-made cold coffee and when it’s topped with a scoop of Ice-cream and some chocolate shavings, it is sheer bliss.
Like Coffee flavored desserts? Indulge into Coffee Almond Ice Cream
Serves: 300 ml
- 1 Cup=250 ml Milk
- 3-4 Ice-Cubes
- 2 tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- Chocolate Shavings (or Chocolate Cookies/Chocolate Brownie)
- 3-4 scoops of Vanilla Ice-Cream
- ***1-2 tbsp Sugar Optional (add only if you need more sweetness in Cold Coffee)
- We will start with mixing Instant Coffee Powder with some Milk. Add 3-4 tsp Milk and mix well. With the coffee ready, let's blend all ingredients together
- Put Coffee mixture in a Blender Jar. Add Milk, 2 Ice-Cubes and 2 scoops of Ice-Cream (and 1-2 tbsp Sugar Optional add only if you need more sweetness in Cold Coffee) and blend well.
- Refrigerate Cold Coffee and the tall glass in which you plan to serve this coffee.
- Pour Cold Coffee in tall glass. Put another scoop of Ice-cream on top and put some chocolate shavings
- Serve this refreshing Cold Coffee for your family instead of your evening tea/coffee.
Click to watch recipe video