Quite frequently, a recipe request that we often come across in the comment section of this website and on our YouTube channel is for a one-pot meal. Often, our viewers and readers are on lookout for such recipes that are not only quick to make but filling as well.
The recipe that we plan to share this week is indeed one such quick meal- Aloo Tamatar Pulao. For me personally, any recipe that involves rice like biryani or pulao is my go-to dish. Biryanis though qualify for being a one-pot meal, it faces a deterrent in form of the elaborate preparation that is required for its making. Pulao is its much simpler and easy to handle cousin.
We have had this pulao during our Lucknow trip couple of years ago. The two main ingredients that go into this preparation are aloo (potato) and tamatar (tomato). Spices like coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and cumin powder add to the taste and aroma of this pulao. We have used long grain basmati rice for this preparation. It can be replaced by any regular variety of rice that you may use for daily consumption.
This easy yet delicious preparation of pulao can serve as an option for your kid’s lunch box. You can share your feedback regarding this recipe in the comment section below.
Find some more interesting rice preparations
- 200 grams long grain basmati rice
- 100 gram onions sliced into lengths
- 250 grams tomatoes cut into cubes
- 150 grams potatoes cut into cubes
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ¼th cup fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Cooking Oil
- Soak rice in water for 30 mins
- Lets make masala paste with spice powders. Put coriander powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder and cumin powder. Add 2 tbsp. water and mix to form a thin paste. Masala paste is ready.
- Heat 4 tbsp. oil in a pan. Add onions. Fry until onions turn light brown.
- Onion turns light brown on medium heat in 5 mins. Now add potato cubes. Cover and cook potatoes for 5 mins. As potatoes get cooked, add tomatoes, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix.
- Cover and cook tomatoes until it turns mushy. Tomatoes get mushy in 7-8 mins.
- Add masala paste. Cook for 2-3 mins
- Add chopped coriander and mix. Add soaked rice and mix. Add water and mix. Level of water should be 1 inch above rice. We have added approx. 2 cups of water. Allow rice to boil on medium heat.
- Lower the heat. Cover and cook rice until it is completely done.
- After 10 mins, we check if the pulao is done. Pulao is properly cooked and excess water has dried up. Keep the pulao covered until serving time.
- Aloo- Tamatar ka Pulao can be served with raita
Click here to watch recipe video