Derived from equally famous Cocktail Pina Colada made from Pineapple juice, Coconut Cream, White Rum blended together with Ice. This much famed Cocktail has a rich history behind it. While the drink carries a rich legacy with itself, there are many claimants who claim to have invented this drink.
A folklore that dates back to 1800s relates Pina Colada with a Puerto Rican pirate named Roberto Cofresí. It is said that he invented a drink to boost his crew’s morale. This cocktail was a concoction of rum, pineapple and coconut. However, he was captured and executed in 1825 which resulted into this recipe getting lost forever.
Of the several stories each attributing this drink to different inventor, one that is more widely believed is that Pina Colada came out from Caribe Hilton in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The hotel management expressed their wish to Ramon “Monchito” Marrero to create his own signature dish that would delight hotel’s patrons. Ramon was consumed by this task for nearly 3 months, mixing different flavors and experimenting with different concoctions. Nearly 3 months later, he came up with this sweet, creamy concoction of coconut cream, pineapple juice and rum.
Later, as more and more travelers came out from Puerto Rico singing praises for this refreshing cocktail, it spread beyond the shores of Puerto Rico.
The popularity of Pina Colada in Puerto Rico can be understood from the fact that it’s a National Drink of this country and Puerto Ricans celebrate 10th July as a National Pina Colada Day.
If you are a teetotaler like me and wouldn’t mind nixing rum from Pina Colada, then this recipe would delight your palate.
Safely skip rum from the recipe and replace coconut cream with coconut milk and you would have this famed mocktail ready in your own kitchen tasting exactly like it tastes in your favorite restaurant.
- 300 gms Pineapple (Cubes)
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar- based on Pineapple Sweetness
- 1 Cup Ice Cubes
- 1 Cup=250 ml Coconut Milk-homemade or store bought
- 2-3 Vanilla Ice Cream scoops
- 1½ Cups Water
- We will demonstrate making Pina Colada from scratch. Hence we will start with making Pine apple Juice for the recipe. If you prefer, you can also use canned pineapple juice in the recipe. However, fresh pineapple juice is always preferred
- Let's add Pineapple Cubes in a grinder jar. Add 2-3 Ice Cubes. Now, we will add 2 tbsp Sugar. You can alter the quantity of Sugar based on sweetness of Pineapple. Add Water. I am adding 1 Cup water. We can more water later, if required. Blend well.
- Let's strain the Pineapple Juice now. Add granulated Sugar while making Pineapple Juice. If you are using canned pineapple juice, then you must add Sugar Syrup in Pina Colada instead of granulated Sugar. We have extracted 300 ml Pine apple Juice.
- Let's start making Pina Colada. In a blender jar, add Pineapple Juice. Add Coconut Milk, ½ Cup Ice Cubes, 3 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream. Give a quick Blend.
- Blended Pina Colada is ready now. We will remove it in a bowl. Refrigerate this bowl until serving
Click to watch recipe video