I had picked up this recipe during one of those days when I was still a struggling cook, when my passion for cooking were limitless but I was low on skills. I would end up trying to learn new skills, new recipes and clocking countless hours making and remaking these recipes in my kitchen to my satisfaction.
During one of these days I got myself registered to one of the weekend 4 hour workshop that was meant to be a crash course on Chinese cuisine. Well 4 hours seemed too little time to learn and acquire the intricacies of Chinese cooking, but nevertheless it seemed an attractive opportunity to make a modest beginning. And so it was that I found myself with 25 more participants cramped up in a makeshift kitchen that seemed to me operating out from a garage.
The chef cum tutor was a veteran in the industry and seemed to be knowing fair deal about her trade. For next 4 hours, we went through a range of Chinese recipes, cooking techniques, tips and tricks. The classroom experience also included all 25 of us getting an opportunity to assist the chef and finally getting to taste the preparations.
Having equipped myself with the knowledge of a Chinese cuisine I toiled for subsequent few weeks to perfect the taste that was still fresh on my taste buds.
Readers, it gives me immense happiness to share this preparation of Chinese Hakka noodle that I have learnt and perfected over several weeks.
Here goes the recipe
- 150 grams Noodles
- 1 medium sized onion sliced into lengths
- 1 capsicum (green bell pepper) julienned
- 1 carrot julienned
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- 1 and ½ tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 Maggi seasoning cube (or ½ tsp MSG)
- cooking oil
- Heat 2 liter water in a large pan. Add ½ tsp salt.Allow water to boil
- As water starts to simmer add noodles to it. We can separate the noodles with a help of a fork.Allow the noodles to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame after 3 minutes and drain the excess water with a strainer.Spread the cooked noodles in a large plate.Separate with a fork.Pour 2 tsp oil on noodles.
- As it comes to room temperature add soy sauce and mix.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large pan.Add ginger-garlic paste.Add sliced onions and fry for a min.Add veggies (capsicum, carrot, cabbage).Cook on high flame.We must cook veggies only till it turn slightly tender retaining its crunch.
- After 2 minutes of cooking on high flame add maggi seasoning cube, white pepper powder and salt.
- Seasoning cube and soy sauce have salt content in them, so be careful while adding salt.
- Now add noodles.Add Vinegar.Mix the noodles with forks. Turn off the flame.
- Veg Hakka Noodles can be served with Schezwan chutney.
Click here to watch recipe video