Mumbai is a City of Contradictions, It is a city of dreams, a city that never sleeps. To an outsider, the previous statement would appear to be kind of opposing thoughts. But didn’t I say you Mumbai is full of beautiful contradictions.
It is also a city where locals and immigrants each one of them realize their dreams to make it big. If you dream with your eyes open, chances of realizing those dreams are pretty high because the city gives you ample opportunities.
During my High School days, I used to be a street food connoisseur, trying out new eateries and sometimes sticking out with the old ones. I had a penchant for this one sandwichwala, who used to operate an sandwich joint near my college. When this guy started out his joint, he had only few items on his menu. What was striking about him was his attitude, he used to operate every single day and never took a break. He would customize these sandwiches for his patrons liking. Beetroot, cucumber, potatoes, onions, green bell peppers, different chutneys, butter and lot of cheese were some of the ingredients he would use and make different sandwiches using them.He would toil from morning 9 to 11 in the night and would then call it a day. He would turn up early morning next day, and get busy making preparations before his clients would start coming. I observed him for 2 years during my Higher secondary school days.
Recently, when I had an opportunity to visit a place near my college, I visited this place and was pleasantly surprised to see his food joint having grown into a pretty decent eatery. The menu boasted of almost 100 of sandwiches. What was more pleasing to me was seeing him still operating in the kitchen and ensuring he makes these sandwiches as demanded by his clients. I was reading “Alchemist” at that time and seeing the sandwichwala, Paulo Cohelo’s quote “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it” seemed to be coming true.
So when I decided I would be sharing Veg Cheese Grilled Sandwich recipe, I thought I must dedicate this to all those sandwichwala and street food vendors, who dream every single day with their eyes open to make it big in the city.
- 3 slices of white/brown bread
- 2 boiled potatoes cut in slices
- 2 tomatoes cut in slices
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum (juliennes)
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 green chillies
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- Chaat Masala
- Processed cheese grated
- Grind Mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilies, lemon juice and salt into a fine thick paste (Green chutney).
- Green Chutney is ready.
- Start with bottom layer.Apply butter on bread slice.
- Apply Green chutney.
- Place slices of Potato.
- Chopped onions on top of Potato slices.
- This completes the bottom layer.
- Second or middle layer.Apply butter on bread slice.
- Apply Green Chutney on bread slice.
- Place the slice on top of bottom layer.
- Place slices of tomatoes on second layer
- Sprinkle some Chaat Masala.
- Keep Juliennes of Capsicum on top of tomatoes.
- Top it with grated cheese.
- This completes second layer.
- Third or topmost layer.Apply butter on third slice.
- Apply Green chutney.
- Turn over the slice and place it on middle layer.
- Apply butter on the top layer.
- Now we are ready to Grill.
- Heat a Grill Pan.Apply some butter on the grill pan.
- Place the Sandwich on Grill Pan .
- Grill the underside for 1 min and then flip over to grill the other side.
- Cut the Sandwich in 4 pieces before serving.
- Garnish the Sandwich with Cheese,green chutney, and tomato ketchup.