Kolhapuri cuisine boasts of some well-known dishes that have put this historical city of Maharashtra on the culinary landscape of world. Dishes like Tambda Rassa, Pandhra rassa, Kolhapuri Misal and Kolhapuri Bhel.
Today we bring the recipe of Tambda rassa from our kitchen. This recipe requires preparation of Kanda Lasun masala which is available in our recipe section titled spice-story
Find some more mutton recipes
- 500 grams mutton (goat meat)
- 150 grams onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. kanda-lasun masala
- Ingredients for Masala paste:
- 1 medium sized onion (we will roast it on open flame)
- 7 dry red chilies (byadagi chilies)
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black cumin seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp dried lichen
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp mace (javitri)
- 2 star anise
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
- A small piece of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. grated dry coconut (8-25 are ingredients required for masala paste)
- Cooking Oil
- Cut top and bottom of the onion and apply oil on its surface. We will roast onion on open flame. Take roasted onion off the flame.
- Place a pan for dry roasting of spices. Dry roast all spices (listed under 9-25) until a pleasant aroma emanates from it.
- Put all the dry roasted ingredients in a grinder jar. Peel off the roasted onion. We will remove the charred outer skin and retain the inner flesh. Add the onions to the jar. Add little water and grind into a fine paste (We have used ¾th cup of water while grinding).
- Heat 4 tbsp. oil in a pan and add bay leaf. Add chopped onions and fry until onions turn golden brown in color. Now add turmeric and ginger-garlic paste and fry for a min. Now add kanda lasun masala and 1-2 tbsp. water and fry for couple of mins.
- Now add mutton and cook on medium heat for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins, add 1 cup hot water and stir. Cover and cook for 10 mins on low heat. After 10 mins, add masala paste, lemon juice and salt to taste and mix well.
- Add some more hot water. Adjust the gravy consistency to suit your taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 20 mins.
- Mutton is completely cooked and ready to serve.
- Kolhapuri Tambda rassa can be relished with Jowar Bhakri and steamed rice
Click here to watch recipe video