We Indians love Aloo and Gobi. Aloo,a vegetable with a neutral taste that allows itself to absorb the spices and provides the desired flavor. Gobi is equally popular.We make use of Gobi in variety of preparations. Gobi in veggies with Aloo, Matar, Capsicums makes for interesting veg preparation. Gobi also finds its place in Indian Paratha in form of Gobi-Paratha and not to forget Gobi in Pulao.
You can prepare simplest of Aloo-Gobi by using basic Indian spices (Coriander Powder, Chilly Powder, Turmeric) or you could let your imagination run wild and choose to make en elaborate preparation out of Aloo-Gobi using ginger-garlic paste, tomato puree or coconut paste. That’s the beauty of Indian cooking. Choosing different spices you can make different versions of Aloo-Gobi and your family would relish to have same veggies but in different avatar each time
For this recipe, Mix these two of the most humble and beloved veggies together with fresh green peas , throw in some whole Indian spices, add the twist of mustard oil to this preparation and swoosh you have the tastiest “Sarsonwali Aloo-Gobi-Matar” ready in your plate!!
- 2 cup Cauliflower florets
- 1 Cup fresh Green Peas
- 1 Medium size Potato cut in cubes
- 1 medium sized Onion cut lengthwise
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely cut
- For Masala:
- 1.5 inch piece of Ginger
- 10-12 cloves of Garlic
- Whole Spices
- 2 tspoon cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 tspoon coriander seeds
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1 Black cardamom
- 5-6 Peppercorn,
- 8-10 medium spicy whole dried red chillies
- ½ tspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- Mustard Oil
- For Garnishing: Fresh Coriander and Fenugreek leaf
- Grind fine Masala paste using Ginger, Garlic, Whole Spices,Whole dried Red Chillies and 1 tbspoon Mustard oil. We can make use of water while grinding.
- Heat 2 tbspoon mustard oil in a pan. Roast Potato cubes and Cauliflower florets until they turn light brown.
- Once they are brown remove the roasted veggies into a plate.
- Add 2 tbspoon oil in a pan. Add Bay leaf, onions into the pan and roast onions until they become tender.
- When Onions become tender, add Tomatoes and allow them to cook till they become very tender.
- When Tomatoes are cooked properly, add ½ tspoon Turmeric powder, fine masala paste and 2 tbspoon salt (or as per your taste) and roast this mixture for 2 -3 min.
- When Mixture is properly cooked, add all veggies (Potatoes, Green peas and Cauliflower) and stir them nicely so that they are evenly coated with masala.
- Add 2 cup water for gravy.
- Cook it covered on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- After 10 mins, turn off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and fenugreek leaf.
- Enjoy with hot Rotis
You can watch recipe video here