Roasted Aam Panna is an interesting twist to the conventional Aam Panna Wherein Raw Mangoes are smoked on an open flame which imparts a smoky flavor to it and adding Jaggery to this preparation elevates it to next level.
It’s been raining fire from the sky this summers. Every passing day in month of May is making the situation more and more difficult to deal with. While we all are battling with these summer woes in our own ways, my heart goes out to all those who can’t afford to sit and work in offices and have to step out to perform their duties. It includes salesmen, delivery boys working for e-tailers, for food joints etc. Can you imagine their plight?
At times, battling excessive heat and sweat they arrive late with the delivery and have to face a barrage of abuse from the ill-mannered customer, who sitting in confines of their home/office, has been eagerly waiting for their new mobile phone. The late delivery causes them to flick and shower the choicest of abuses on the poor and hapless delivery boy. Though we cannot do much to alleviate their suffering, but at least we can be human. Here’s a food for thought-a smile, exchange of pleasantries, offering a glass of water can really go a long way in making it easier for them.
With that thought, let’s talk about today’s Recipe-Roasted Aam Panna. Aam Panna is a coolant which is an essential part of Indian Cuisine to the extent that everyone in their childhood must have consumed this cool drink at their home. Of handful of things that offers us respite during Summers, Mangoes are indeed one of those items. We like to consume it in either of its form-raw and ripe. While ripe Mangoes are an absolute delicacy worldwide, Indians have devised several innovative recipes that are made just from raw mangoes.
Last year around this time, we had put the recipe of Aam Panna made with steaming method. Quite recently, when April had just begun, my friend Mugdha Nirmal shared her recipe of Aam Panna on FB, which was different than the usual method. I loved her method of roasting Aam Panna instead of steaming and decided to try out this year.
Since then I have made several liters of roasted Aam Panna and have been liking the smoky flavor of roasted mangoes paired with sweetness of jaggery.
This season try out roasted Aam Panna and share your feedback with us in the comment section below.
Serves: 1 liter
- 2 Large=450gms Raw Mangoes(Kairi)
- ¾th Cup=150gms grated Jaggery
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Few Saffron strands (Optional)
- We will roast Mangoes on a Open flame. Use a Roti Stand for roasting mangoes. With a knife, make slits in Mangoes. Place it on the stand and increase heat. Roast evenly from all sides. Rotate the Mangoes with a Tong
- Once Mangoes cool down, Peel off its skin. Now we will scrape out the flesh from Mangoes
- Put the roasted pulp in a grinder jar. Add grated jaggery. Add Cardamom Powder, Black Salt and Saffron and blend well.
- Blended Aam Panna mixture is ready. Let's make Aam Panna now. I have taken a 1.25-liter Jar. Add some Ice and few Mint leaves. Now pour in the Aam Panna mixture.
- We will add total 1-liter water and stir well.
- Refrigerate until serving
- The aroma of roasted Mangoes and sweetness of Jaggery compliments well. Try out this amazing coolant and you will never go back to packaged drinks.
- Let's talk about the health benefits of Aam Panna
- a) Due to excessive sweating in summers body may lose Salt and Iron. Aam Panna helps retain these nutrients in body
- b) It aids in digestion and helps in constipation and diarrhea
- c) Aam Panna is rich in minerals and Vitamin C
Click to watch recipe video