Matar Paneer is a very popular Indian veg preparation that features very prominently on every Indian restaurant menu. For me the best part of the dish is that it combines two of my favorite ingredients in veg list- Green Peas and Paneer.
The restaurant style gravy preparation is a bit elaborate task and requires quite a long list of ingredients than the simple home-made gravy. However, I don’t mind spending little longer in my kitchen when it comes to preparing delicacies like Biryani, Indian desserts or preparations like Matar Paneer.
During my stint in hotel industry I learnt few tricks that usually gets employed in making such gravy preparations. So I have kept this recipe as close as possible to what we as a Chef would make in the kitchen and serve it to our guests.
I would recommend you to follow this recipe as it is and I am very sure you will be successful in replicating the flavor of your favorite restaurant in your own kitchen.
Matar Paneer can be relished with Roti or rice. My personal choice is Jeera Ricea
If you fancy making restaurant style food at home, then you must check out restaurant/dhaba recipes
- 200 gms Frozen or Fresh Green Peas
- 250 gms Paneer (cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cream
- Cooking Oil
- 1 Large=100gms Onions (cubes)
- 2 Green Chilies
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1½-inch Ginger-root
- 5-6 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 medium=200gms Tomatoes (cubes)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 Green Cardamom
- ¼th tsp Cloves
- ¼ts tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1-inch Cinnamon stick
- 12-15 Cashewnuts
- 2 Bay Leaf
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp roasted Cumin Powder
- ¼th tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp roasted Fenugreek leaves
- We will make a Tomato masala paste. Boil 1 Cup water in a Pan. As water begins to boil, add Cinnamon sticks, Black Peppercorns, Cloves and Green Cardamom, Cashew Nuts, chopped Tomatoes and mix well. Cover and Cook
- Meanwhile, we will make Onion Masala paste. In a grinder jar, add Onions, Green Chilies, fresh Coriander leaves. Add Ginger-Garlic and Cumin Seeds. Add water and grind into fine paste. We have used ¼th Cup water for making this Masala
- We have covered and cooked Tomatoes for 15 mins. Tomatoes have become soft and mushy. Remove this masala from the pan. Strain with a strainer and reserve the water used for boiling. We will use this water while cooking the gravy
- When the Tomato cools down, we will grind it into fine paste. Transfer the ingredients to a grinder jar and grind into a fine paste. We have used 2 tbsp water for grinding Tomato Masala paste. We have both the Masalas and reserved water with us.
- Let's start with the gravy now. We will first fry Paneer cubes. Heat 4 tbsp Oil in a Pan. Add Paneer Cubes. If Paneer is at room temperature, you can fry it directly. However, if you have stored it in a refrigerator, then you must leave Paneer at room temperature for at least 30 mins. We will fry Paneer on low heat until it becomes slightly brown in color. Frying too much will make Paneer tough and chewy
- Paneer cubes have become slightly brown. Now we will remove it from the Pan and transfer it to a bowl of water. Keep the Paneer in this water for 5 mins. This is the secret for keeping Paneer soft.
- Heat 3 tbsp Cooking Oil in a Pan. Add Bay Leaf. Add Onion Masala Paste. This is raw Onion paste, so we must cook it for some time to get rid of the raw flavor. Cook on medium-high heat
- We have cooked Onion Masala for about 5 mins on medium-high heat. Now, we will add Tomato-Cashew Masala paste. Add Salt and mix well.
- Now, we will add all dry spice powders. Add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala Powder and Sugar. Sugar is always added in a restaurant style gravy. It helps to balance the flavors. Mix well. Now add reserved water and Bhunao this Masala paste.
- Taste of gravy will depend a lot on how well you have cooked/ Bhunao the masala. We have cooked Masala for about 10 mins. Now add frozen/fresh green peas and mix well. We will add hot water for the gravy-1½ Cups of water. We will allow the gravy to boil on high heat
- As gravy starts to boil, reduce heat and cook covered. We have used frozen peas and it gets cooked in about 3 mins. If you are using fresh peas, you will have to cook a little longer.
- Now, add Paneer Cubes. We will cook Paneer for just 2-3 mins.
- After 2 mins, add roasted fenugreek leaves. Crush it coarsely between palms and add it to the gravy. Matar Paneer is ready. Switch off the heat now
- When the simmering stops completely, add fresh cream and give it a final stir. Keep Matar Paneer covered until serving
Click to watch recipe video