Instant Rava Appe is a quick version of Appe made with Rava and steamed in a unique vessel shaped like a pan with multiple small fissures also known as Appe Pan. We have earlier made rice batter appe which are equally delicious.
Appe or Paddu is a popular South Indian snack, shallow fried dumpling or roundels prepared with rice and urad dal or with the batter of addition of mixed lentils like chana dal, urad dal and flattened rice. Generally, rice appe is widely prepared in West coast of India Konkan in parts of Maharashtra and Karnataka. Rice appe is known by various names in South India, including paddu, appe, guliappa, gulittu, yeriyappa, gundponglu, ponganalu (source wiki).
While typically rice Appe requires fermentation and hence a bit of thinking ahead, Rava Appe is for those who aren’t good at planning and hence dishes like Rava appe comes as a saving grace. Rava Appe takes less than 30 mins to make and while the appe are getting steamed, you may make some delicious chutney to serve along.
Let’s see how to make Instant Rava appe
- 1 Cup=200 gms Semolina-Wheat Semolina (Bombay Rava)
- 2 Cup=400 ml Buttermilk
- 1 small=60 gms Onions-finely chopped
- ¼th Cup=60 gms Frozen Green Peas
- ¼th Cup=60 gms grated Carrots
- ½ Cup=50 gms grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 Green Chilies-finely chopped
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 5-6 Curry Leaves-finely chopped
- ¼th tsp Asafoetida Powder
- ½ tsp Cooking Soda
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves-finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cooking Oil
- We will make a batter for Appe. In a large bowl, put Semolina. We have roasted Semolina for couple of mins before using in the recipe on low heat.
- Add grated fresh coconut, fresh coriander leaves and butter milk. Mix until we get rid of all lumps in the batter
- Appe Batter is ready. Let's make a Tadka for the batter. In a pan, heat 2 tbsp Cooking Oil. Add Mustard Seeds, Asafoetida Powder, Curry Leaves, Green Chilies. Add chopped Onions and cook until it becomes soft.
- We have cooked Onions for 3 mins on medium heat. Add grated carrots, frozen green peas. If you are using fresh peas, then you may have to cook it longer. Add fresh green peas before carrots and cook it for 3-4 mins.
- After 2 mins of cooking on medium heat, vegetables have become soft. Let's add it to the Appe batter. Add cooking soda and salt. Mix with the batter nicely. Appe batter is now ready. Cover and keep it aside for 10 mins
- After 10 mins, heat appe pan on high heat. Grease the molds with come cooking Oil. Reduce the heat and put a spoonful of batter in each mold. Cover and cook appe on low heat
- Uncover after 4 mins. Appe have become golden brown from both sides. We will change its sides now. Cook underside for 2 more mins. Do not cover
- After 2 mins, Appe have become brown. Remove from the Appe Pan. Similarly, make all the Appe
- We have made 28-30 Appe in these measurements. Let's serve it hot
- Instant Rava Appe is now ready and served. These are soft from inside and crisp from outside
- Serve Rava Appe with Coconut Chutney
Click to watch recipe video