The culinary landscape of Rajasthan is adorned by innumerable culinary gems, many of these have attained distinction of being globally known whereas few others are limited to being local recipes. One of these recipe that I often like to make as a part of my snack preparation is Rajasthani Aloo Bonda/Batata Vada/Kofto.
This dish though bears a close resemblance to Batate Vada that is such an important part of Mumbai street food culture or Batate Ambade a famous snack of Udupi Cuisine but it is still different in taste due to usage of ingredients like Kalonji (nigella seeds) and Aamchoor (dry mango powder).
The preparation is very similar to what is adopted in preparing its closely resembling cousin from Mumbai in West in which potatoes are boiled, mashed and flavored with tempered spices like mustard seeds, chopped chilies, cilantro, turmeric powder, red chili powder and aamchoor powder. Then this mixture is rolled out into balls and dipped into besan (garbanzo beans flour) batter seasoned with spices.
It is then fried in oil until these balls turns golden brown in color. These hot koftos can be served with imli chutney, tomato chutney or even tomato ketchup.
Rajasthani Aloo Bonda/Vada can be a delicious snack during these winters. Accompany them with a cup of hot tea and enjoy the chilling weather.
Find more Rajasthani dishes.
Click here to delicious snacks.
- 300 grams boiled potatoes
- 150 grams besan (garbanzo bean flour)
- ¼th tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- ¼th tsp asafoetida powder
- ½ tsp carom seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp dry mango powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder (less spicy)
- 4 green chilies finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- Oil for frying Kofto
- Salt to taste
- Peel off the potatoes and mash them.
- Prepare for tadka for mashed potatoes.Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a pan .Add mustard seeds. As the seeds begin to splutter, add chopped chilies,mashed potatoes,chopped cilantro.Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder,dry mango powder and salt to taste.Stir and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Allow the potato mixture to cool down.Let's make batter.
- Put besan in a bowl. Add nigella seeds and asafoetida powder,carom seeds.Adding water, make a thick batter.Whisk to remove lumps.We have whisked for 2-3 mins till our batter is of coating consistency.Add salt to taste and mix.Batter and potato mixture are ready.
- Shape the mixture into small balls.Dip the balls into batter.Add batter dipped balls in hot oil.Fry until kofto turns golden brown.
- As Kofto attains golden brown color,remove it from the oil.
- Rajasthani Aloo Bonda/Batata Vada/Kofto can be served with chutney
Click here to watch recipe video