A quintessential Goan fish curry that features very prominently in Goan cuisine. Hooman is a most common curry prepared in a Goan kitchen and is paired with different types of fish- Prawns, Pomfret, Lady Fish etc. being some of the common variants of this dish.
We are using Pomfret, commonly known as Paplet in Goan language for this recipe. This dish is a fairly balanced flavors of sweetness, sourness and spiciness. The recipe attributes these flavors to the usage of coconut, tamarind and chilies respectively. A grounded masala paste is made with coconuts, chilies, dry whole spices (see the recipe section below). This masala paste forms crux of the recipe and the dish derives its taste from this paste.
The consistency of the gravy can be adjusted to suit one’s taste. Typically Hooman is relished with steamed rice and hence you would want to retain curry in the final dish.
Let’s see the detailed recipe now
Find some exciting seafood recipes here
- 300 grams Pomfret (Paplet)
- 1 medium sized Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ½ cup grated Fresh Coconut
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- 8-10 dried Red Chilies (Byadagi)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 15 Black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Whole Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 2 Green Chilies (sliced into length)
- Cooking Oil
- We begin with marination. Add 1 tsp Salt, ½ tsp Turmeric Powder and Ginger-Garlic Paste. Coat well. Keep the fish marinated for 20 mins.
- We will now make Masala Paste.Put Fresh Coconut in a Grinder Jar, add ½ tsp Turmeric Powder, Black Peppercorns, Whole Coriander Seeds, Dried Red Chilies. Add ¼th cup water and grind into a fine and thick paste.
- Heat 3 tbsp Oil in a pan. Add sliced Chilies and Chopped Onions. Fry until Onions become slightly tender.
- Now add Masala Paste and fry for 2-3 mins.Now add 1 and ½ cup of water and let the curry simmer for 2-3 mins on low heat.
- After few minutes of cooking, raise the heat to medium. Add Marinated Pomfret Slices and add Salt to taste and tamarind pulp. Mix well.
- Lower the heat and cook covered for 3-4 mins. After 4 mins of cooking, add Coconut Milk.
- Turn off the heat and keep Hooman covered until serving.
- Paplet Hooman is best enjoyed with Steamed Rice. Serve Paplet Hooman after few mins of standing time
Click to watch recipe video