Murgh Pulao or Chicken Pulao is a delicious one-pot meal and this microwave version of the Pulao is quick on execution and saves lot of time. You can get done with the cooking in less than 30 mins. Did I hear you say, awesome? Awesome it is!
It’s the month of Ramadan and we have been posting Ramadan recipes on our YouTube Channel to celebrate this holy month. While our last recipe was a soothing mocktail Virgin Pina Colada, this week we decided to share a one-pot wholesome meal that will keep you full for a longer time. One of the aspects of food blogging that I admire the most is designing the recipes as per the change in seasons and the festivals. India is a land of festivals. Festivals are the medium which brings us all together despite the diversity and the differences that exists in our society.
Festivals have more important role to play in today’s modernized world where the space for joint or extended family is shrinking and nuclear families are becoming more and more common. The festivals allow us to come together, laugh, rejoice, and share a positive relationship. Happy individuals could lead to formation of a happy and prosperous society.
Food and Festival is what brings us together from times immemorial. Just as communities and people are inseparable from festivals, food has an equally important role to play in these occasions. It’s hard to imagine these occasions without food.
While our Muslim friends celebrate Ramadan, I would want to join them in the feast with this recipe. There are quite a few more exciting recipes that are in pipeline that I will post until Eid al-Fitr.
Make this Chicken Pulao for your dinner and remember to share your experiences with us in comment section below.
Let’s go through this delicious Chicken Pulao.
- 1 Cup=200 gms Long Grain Basmati Rice-washed and cleaned. Soak in water for 30 mins
- 500 gms Chicken (with Bones)-can be replaced with boneless
- 2 tbsp Curd
- 1 tsp Yellow Chili Powder
- 4 Dry red Chilies
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 1 small=50 gms Onion (cubed)
- 1-inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cloves
- Seeds of 2 Black Cardamom
- ½ tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 small=50 gms Onion (sliced)
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 Green Chilies-sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger Julienne
- 7-8 Mint leaves- for Garnish
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- We will make a masala paste for marination of chicken. In a grinder jar, add Onion Cubes. Remember, we are using Onions in two forms in this recipe-sliced and cubed.
- For Masala paste, put Onion cubes. Add Cloves, Black Peppercorns, Seeds of Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom, dry Red Chilies, Fennel Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Cinnamon stick, some Salt. Add Water and grind into a fine paste.
- Take a large bowl. Put Curd, Yellow Chili Powder and Masala Paste and mix well. Add Chicken pieces in this marinade and coat well. Keep the marinated chicken aside
- Take a large Microwave safe casserole with lid. This casserole is of 1.75 liter. Add 2 tbsp Cooking Oil, 2 bay leaf and sliced Onions. Mix well. Cook on High heat for 3 mins. Place casserole at center of glass tray
- a) Mode: Micro b) Power: 900 W (High) c) Timer: 3 mins d) Press Start Cook uncovered
- Onions have become soft in 3 mins. Now, add Ginger-Garlic paste and Mix well. Cook on High heat for 2 mins
- a) Mode: Micro b) Power: 900 W (High) c) Timer: 2 mins d) Press Start Cook uncovered
- Remove after 2 mins and give a mix. Add marinated Chicken pieces and mix well. Cook Covered on High heat for 5 mins
- a) Mode: Micro b) Power: 900 W (High) c) Timer: 5 mins d) Press Start Cook Covered
- Remove Chicken after 5 mins. Chicken releases enough juices. Rice cooked in these juices is so flavorful. Add rice in Casserole. Drain excess water from soaked rice and mix well.
- Now add Water 1 Cup rice=2 Cups Water. Add Salt to taste. Now cover the Casserole and cook in Microwave for 15 mins
- a) Mode: Micro b) Power: 900 W (High) c) Timer: 15 mins d) Press Start Cook Covered
- Remove Chicken Pulao after 5 mins and gently stir. Put back in Microwave for remaining 10 mins
- After 5 mins, we will remove Casserole again from Microwave and stir. Add Ginger Juliennes. If you do not like flavor of Ginger, you can completely skip this step. Add Green Chilies. Put the lid back in place. Cook in Microwave for last 5 mins
- Put back in Microwave for last 5 mins. Remove after total cooking time of 15 mins. Allow a standing time of 5 mins
- Murg Pulao is a filling meal. Serve it with Raita of your choice. Remember to check our playlist for various types of Raita
Click to watch recipe video