Finally rains have arrived in Pune ushering in much sought respite to the Punekars (term used to describe the residents of Pune). Every morning, we are greeted with the sights of darkened skies and imminent downpour that makes the ritual of morning tea more delightful.
Such climatic changes often govern our food cravings. Monsoon means craving for fried, hot and spicy food. Sometime during middle of the last week, we had decided, come Sunday we must enrich our morning tea experience with a dish that is fried and hot (we generally avoid spicy in the morning). We had zeroed in on this classic recipe of Mozzarella Cheese Sticks, a traditional Italian snack made with strips of Mozzarella cheese dipped in egg batter and coated with seasoned bread crumbs.
While this dish may take some efforts and time if made from scratch, you may keep the batter-dipped and bread crumbs coated Mozzarella strips in an air tight container and store in a freezer. This may serve couple of purposes, one it reduces the preparation time drastically which makes it as an ideal snack to be served to those guests who drop in for a surprise visit and two the coating holds firmly when dipped in hot oil. The second point is quite vital. If you make it fresh and fry right away there are chances that the entire strip of cheese may reduce to a big glob of mess. To avoid this mess, we recommend freezing the cheese strips before frying. This would prevent the cheese from melting and also facilitate even cooking of outer coating.
Fulfill your cravings for fried and hot food this monsoon with a classic snack of Mozzarella Cheese Sticks.
Find more such Snack recipes
- 400 grams Mozzarella Cheese Block
- 3 large sized Eggs
- 1 tbsp. Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp. Roasted Garlic Powder
- 150 grams Home Made Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp White Pepper Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- Crack open 3 eggs in a large bowl. Add Heavy Cream and whisk well.
- Now we will season the bread crumbs. Put Bread Crumbs in a large plate. Add roasted garlic powder, white pepper powder, Oregano and pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Cut cheese block into strips of ½ inch length.
- Dip Cheese Strip in Egg batter. Coat with bread crumbs. Dip in Egg Batter again. Finally, coat with Bread Crumbs. Keep the Cheese Strip aside.
- Prepare other Cheese Strips in a similar way (double coating)
- Cover with a cling wrap and freeze for at least 3 hours
- After 30 mins, take out the cheese strips from freezer and let it rest for 5 mins at room temperature. Meanwhile heat Oil in a pan for frying.
- Fry until cheese strips attain golden color
- Serve while it’s hot
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks is an ideal party snack. Serve with Marinara Sauce.
Click here to watch recipe video