An interesting variation to the usual Aloo Tikkis- Stuff them with some spicy and zesty moong dal stuffing and what you have is a dish that will be a definite hit at your next cocktail party.
Aloo tikkis (Potato-filled croquette) are possibly one of the most savored food item on any street food menu in Indian cuisine. Spiced mixture of Potato shaped in tikkis (flat and circular) are crisp fried until the surface forms a brown crust. Crisp fried hot Tikkis can be relished with sweet and sour Gud Imli ki chutney, or spicy and tangy Dhaniya-Pudina Chutney. If you are impatient like me and hate waiting any more after the tikkis are ready, then you could even relish it with store-bought Tomato ketchup.
Find some interesting Snack recipes
As a variation to usual Aloo tikkis, a savory mixture of grounded Moong Dal (can be replaced with Chana Dal) with green masala paste is prepared and stuffed inside these tikkis. This makes the Aloo tikkis zesty and more delicious.
Let’s go through the recipe of Moong Dal stuffed Aloo Tikki quickly.
- 4 Large=400gms Boiled Potatoes
- Suji/Rava/Semolina as needed
- Gram Flour/Besan as needed
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- Cooking Oil
- Moong Dal Stuffing:
- ½ Cup=125gms Moong Dal (soak in water for 1 hour)
- ¼th Cup Fresh Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-inch Ginger root
- 6-7 Green Chilies
- 8-10 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- We will start with grinding a masala paste. In a grinder jar, put garlic, chilies, garlic and lime juice. Grind into a coarse paste.
- We will grind a Moong Dal Paste. Drain water from Moong Dal. Grind into fine and smooth paste without adding water.
- Heat 2 tbsp Cooking Oil in a Pan. Add Green Masala Paste and cook until we get rid of raw smell. After 2 mins of cooking Masala Paste, add Turmeric Powder. Add some Coriander Leaves and mix well. Add Moong Dal Paste, coriander leaves and Salt to taste and cook.
- We have cooked Moong Dal stuffing for 3 mins. It starts to leave the bottom of the pan when its ready. Remove from heat and allow it to cool down completely
- Meanwhile, we will grate boiled Potatoes. Now we will add spices to grated Potatoes. Add Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, roasted Cumin Powder and Salt. For binding we will add 2 tbsp Gram flour to Potato mixture. Knead into a soft dough
- Let's start making Tikkis. Grease plate and your palms with some Oil. Take a small portion of Potato mixture. Roll into balls and then press gently to form a tikkis (flat shaped).
- Take a small portion of Moong Dal mixture and roll into small balls. Place this Moong Dal ball at center of Potato Tikki. Bring the edges closer to the center and make it in shape of ball. Roll to form a ball.
- Press gently to form a shape of tikkis (flat shaped). You may apply some Oil on your palms. Similarly make other tikkis.
- In this measurements, we have made 8 Tikkis. Now we will coat these Tikkis with Semolina/Rava/Suji. In a plate, put Semolina. Coat Tikkis well with Semolina. Similarly, coat all the Tikkis.
- Tikkis are ready for shallow frying. Heat 5-6 tbsp Cooking Oil in a Pan. We will fry on medium heat. Put Tikkis in Pan and fry on medium heat
- After cooking underside for 3 mins, flip over. We can see a golden brown colored crust formed on the surface. Similarly cook for other side. After 3 mins of cooking, remove from pan. Similarly, fry other tikkis
- Stuffed Aloo Tikkis are ready. Enjoy Stuffed Aloo Tikkis with Tomato Ketchup or Dhaniya-Pudina Chutney. This can be a great snack for your kids
Click to watch recipe video