Koshimbir in Marathi, or known as Kosambari in Karnataka cuisine is a form of a salad that is a mix of veggies and lentils.
We prepare a similar version of salad in our Konkani kitchen- “Koshimbir”- which is made as a dry mixture of veggies like onion, tomato, cucumber seasoned with green chilies, lemon juice and salt. As a variation, sometimes curd is added to give a tangy touch to Koshimbir and a hint of crushed peanut imparts a crunchiness
Like its Maharashtrian sister, Kosambari is made up with veggies like carrot, cucumber. However , the twist here Kannadigas add the soaked moong dal/chana dal to add crunchiness to it with freshly grated coconut, lemon juice, salt , sugar, green chilies, chopped coriander leaves and finally seasoned with fresh tadka of mustard seeds, asafoetida and urad dal. Kosambari is also prepared on auspicious occasions like marriages and it can also be served as Prasad in temples.
Besides being consumed on such auspicious occasions, moong dal and cucumber salad can also be relished as a side dish in your thali or a complete replacement for your evening snacks or lunch as part of your diet plan like Peanut-Cabbage relish
Find more such accompaniment recipes
- 100 grams Moong Dal (Yellow Lentils). Soak Moong Dal in water for 2 hours and then drain the water
- 250 grams Cucumber (cut into cubes)
- ¼ th Cup fresh Coriander Leaves-chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 3 Green Chilies-finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp. Sugar
- ¼th Cup grated fresh Coconut
- 1 tbsp. Clarified Butter
- 1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida Powder
- 1 tbsp. Urad Dal
- In a large bowl, put Cucumber cubes. Add Soaked Moong Dal, Green Chilies, Salt, Sugar, Lemon Juice, Coriander Leaves. Mix all the ingredients
- Let's prepare for Tadka. Heat 1 tbsp. Clarified Butter. Add Urad Dal. As Urad Dal becomes brown in color, add mustard seeds and asafoetida powder. Pour this tadka on Koshimbiri.
- Add grated coconut. Koshimbiri is ready to be served.
- Moong Dal-Kakdi Koshimbiri is a quick and healthy snack. It can not only be served as an accompaniment but can also act as a healthy diet option.
Click to watch recipe video