If there would be that one dish in the Indian cuisine that discreetly manages to make its presence felt in every Indian meal, it must be Papad or how our South Indian brethren’s would prefer identifying it-Papadum.
Unostentatious in its appearance it does not evoke any words of praise by its presence in the Indian Thali but its absence would definitely raise more than a few eyeballs in the foodie circle. From a sprawling and magnificent Indian wedding buffet to a comforting and modest lunch on a rainy Sunday afternoon, Papad nicely fits the bill.
Made up of flour dough of pulses like Urad, Chana, masoor and like, these are rolled out into fine thin circles and either deep fried or roasted.
It has been for some time now my customary appetizer every time I go out for a meal to any restaurant. I like to start with Masala Papad before I gaze through the restaurant menu and most of the eateries serve them irrespective of the fact whether this dish find its mention on the menu.
Masala Papad is such a simple preparation that you can quickly make it for your guests and win some praises from them.
Let’s get started
- 2 Punjabi Papad(can be substituted with Urad Papad)
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp chat masala
- 1 tsp oil
- finely chopped coriander
- fine sev
- Let's start with preparing topping for Papad. In a large bowl, add onions and tomatoes, chopped chilies, lime juice and salt.Mix the ingredients.
- Let's fry the Papad now.We will fry papad in Microwave. Apply some oil evenly on Papad.
- Place the oiled papad inside microwave.Power:900 W Time:90 second
- Put topping on papad. Start with generous sprinkling of chat masala. Put Onion-Tomato topping.Sprinkle red chili powder,chopped coriander,fine sev.
- Serve immediately before it gets soggy.
Find more Veg recipes
Click here to watch recipe video