Masala Chaas or Spiced Buttermilk provides best respite in this scorching summers. One of my favorite drinks, spiced buttermilk must be part of your daily diet, if it isn’t already.
We are in mid of April and June seems like a distant dream. Heat has gone up to insane levels and has been breaking new records with every passing year, and this is one record that I hate to see being broken. Every Monday morning, small talk in form of ‘oh-it’s-so-hot-out-there’ seems to be getting more common every week. A friend just remarked this morning, that Weatherman had forecasted of mercury touching a new high of 43 degrees Celsius in Pune.
Amidst this blazing summer, the only respite comes in form of various beverages that we have been guzzling down at our home. Lassi, Juices, Milkshakes and Buttermilk are so common now, that at times we won’t mind skipping a lunch in lieu of a glass of a cool drink.
Ayurveda prescribes consuming buttermilk on a daily basis. The importance of buttermilk could be ascertained from the following quote, ‘As nectar is to God and Goddess, so is Buttermilk for human beings’. Inclusion of Buttermilk is essential to lead a healthy life as per Ayurveda.
Masala Chaas or Spiced Buttermilk provides best respite in this scorching summers. One of my favorite drinks, spiced buttermilk must be part of your daily diet, if it isn’t already. With that thought, let’s go through the recipe now.
- 1 Cup=250gms Curd
- ½-inch Ginger-root
- 3 Green Chilies
- 3-4 tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 Cup Water
- Pinch of Asafoetida Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Black Salt
- ½ tsp roasted Cumin Powder
- Salt to taste
- Clarified Butter
- We will grind a green masala paste. Put Ginger and Chilies in a grinder jar. Add some Coriander Leaves. Reserve some Coriander Leaves for garnishing. Add some water and grind into a coarse paste
- Let's start making Masala Chaas. In a bowl, put Curd and whisk it.
- We have whisked Curd well and it is free of lumps now. Now, add grounded green masala paste, Cumin Powder, Salt and Black Salt and mix.
- We will add 2 Cups of water (for 1 Cup of Curd) and whisk again (Air bubbles should be clearly seen forming on the surface of Buttermilk)
- We will now make a Tadka for Masala Chaas. Heat 1 tsp Clarified butter. Add Cumin Seeds and Asafoetida Powder.
- Pour this Tempering on Buttermilk and mix it well. Refrigerate for 30 mins before serving
Click to watch recipe video