It’s Sunday again! The day I allow myself the luxury to be lazy. The day I want to get done with my lunch with not much fanfare. In short, it’s the day I go back to my list of comfort food and lemon rice sits right at top.
Here is one of the several rice preparations emanating from South of India that has now gradually placed itself on the global map. The best part with these dish is how easy they are to prepare.
You can either cook rice separately for this recipe or could make use of leftover rice too. I ensure to stock some spice powder that is required for this preparation in my pantry and quickly whip up lemon rice when required.
Tangy and Crunchy lemon rice is what best epitomizes comfort food. Make this quick preparation and enjoy your siesta. I am headed for one.
- 1 cup=200gms long grain basmati rice. Soak rice in water for 30 minutes
- 1 and ½ tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal white (split)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 3-4 green chilies sliced into lengths
- ½ inch ginger root grated
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 lime(2 Tbsp)
- Coconut Oil
- Heat 2 cups of water in a large pan.As water begins to simmer, add 1 tsp salt to it.Now add rice.We must completely cook the rice.
- As water begins to boil, reduce the heat. Cover and cook the rice. When rice gets cooked, take it off the heat and spread it in a plate.
- For spice powder, add 2 tsp coconut oil in a pan.Add chana dal and coriander seeds.Fry until chana dal turns light brown.Now add fenugreek seeds.As chana dal turns brown, add asafoetida powder.Stir it in and turn off the heat.
- Grind the fried ingredients into a fine powder.Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a pan.Fry cashewnuts and peanuts until it turns light brown in color. Remove fried nuts from oil.
- Temper coconut oil with chana dal and urad dal.Fry dals until it turns brown.
- As dals turn brown, add mustard seeds,dried red chilies,curry leaves. Now add green chilies and grated ginger.Add grounded spice,turmeric powder,salt to taste,fried cashewnuts and peanuts.Mix.Finally stir in cooked rice.
- Stir all the ingredients.Add lime juice.Mix.Turn off the heat.Lemon Rice is ready to be served.
- Crunchy and lemon flavored rice can be relished in breakfast, brunch or lunch
Click here for recipe video