Today as we celebrate Gudi Padva in Maharashtra which is marked as first day of the new year as per Hindu Lunisolar calendar. In some parts of country like Andhra Pradesh and Telangana this day is celebrated ad Ugadi and in Karnataka as Yugadi.
Traditionally sweet preparation on this day are mandate and they are offered as an offering to deity.
We decided to make a sweet preparation that is amazingly delicious but surprisingly very easy to make. It does not require any elaborate preparation except for having hung curd. In fact nowadays, hung curd or chakka as it is known in local language is commonly available on dairy shops eliminating the only preparation that is needed. If you prefer, you can buy the chakka from dairy shops and straight away jump into recipe.
If you like to make chakka at home, you need to begin at least 4-6 hours in advance, tie the curd in a muslin cloth and leave it suspended for these hours. These will ensure that whey is removed and what is left behind is thick slab of curd that is required for making Shrikhand.
Whisk this thick slab of curd in a large bowl and add in all the ingredients given in the recipe below. The sugar that is added to bring in sweetness can be in powdered form or in granulated form. We have used fine granulated sugar in the recipe. The charoli seeds and the nutmeg powder provide an interesting dimension to this recipe and cardamom powder adds to the fragrance.
Kesar Elaichi Shrikhand is best enjoyed with hot pooris. Prepare this dessert on the first day of the New Year and provide a sweet beginning to the year.
If you have something to say about the recipe or about your New Year celebration do let us know using comment section below.
You can click here for other Dessert recipes
- Hung curd made from 400 grams curd(Tie 400 gram curd in a muslin cloth and leave it suspended for about 6 hours)
- 90 grams granulated sugar (fine grain).You can also use powdered sugar.
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 12-15 pistachios soaked in warm water and skin peeled off.
- 1 tbsp charoli seeds
- few saffron strands soaked in warm milk
- Whisk hung curd in a large bowl.
- Now add sugar to whisked curd.Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, add charoli seeds and saffron milk.
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- The quantity of sugar can be altered to suit your taste.
- Refrigerate shrikhand for 30 minutes and serve it chilled.
- Kesar Ilaychi Shrikhand can be relished with hot Pooris
Click here to watch recipe video