I love Cricket World cups. But wait.. Before you judge me as another cricket fanatic in Cricket crazy nation of ours, a disclaimer here is necessary to clarify that I am not an ardent fan. My liking for cricket are because of not so obvious reasons of love for sports, but because of sheer energy and fervor associated with it that tends to bring together our nation!! This is the time when entire family comes together to celebrate this carnival of sports!
This is the time when my friends decide to gang up at my place and bring down the ceiling by their howling and shouting. Munching on junk food, gulping coke and bean bags becoming temporary beds are some of the side effects of this mad event!!
I am sharing a recipe “Jhinga Pakoda/ Prawns Fritters” that you would love to prepare for your friends and one that would go well with this World cup event. Call over your friends at your place, make some yummy “Jhinga Pakoda”, drown in coke and enjoy cricket at weekends!!
- 15 Large sized Prawns deveined (leaving the tail part on). Pat dry the prawns with a kitchen towel to get rid of extra moisture
- For Marination:
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 3 inches ginger root grated
- 12-15 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 4 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tspoon salt
- For Batter:
- 3 tbspoon Gram flour/Besan
- 1 tbspoon corn flour
- ½ tspoon baking powder
- 1 Egg
- 2 tspoon Salt
- Prawns Marination:
- Take prawns in a large bowl,Add Salt, grated ginger, chopped garlic, chopped green chillies and lemon juice. Mix them well.
- Let the prawns marinade at room temperature for 3 hours
- Making Batter:
- Take a bowl and add Gram flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt, egg(white and yolk) and add 1 tbspoon oil and mix them well. You can use small amount of water if
- Batter must be of medium consistency.Let the batter rest for 30 mins
- Let's get rolling
- Add oil to the pan for frying. Heat the oil until it turns very hot, then reduce the flame.
- Dip the prawns one by one in the batter and hold it briefly over the bowl to let the excess drip off and then gently drop the prawn into the oil
- Cook the prawns for 2 mins on one side and then flip them over
- Cook the prawns on both sides until they turn golden brown. Now remove the prawns in a plate
- Fry remaining prawns in similar way
- You can eat Jhinga Pakoda/Prawns fritters with Coriander+Pudina+Yogurt chutney
Click here to see entire recipe video