This is a part of Winter-recipes that we have been sharing on our blog. I had a very strong sweet tooth, right from my child hood. To give you perspective about my sweet tooth, I would just carry Gajar Ka Halwa in my tiffin box for my lunch.
Can you imagine that, my school buddies would get bread, rice and gravies for lunch and I would happily chomp upon Gajar Ka Halwa for my lunch. I have got couple of root canals done on my first molar and second premolar and I feel I should exercise fair amount of caution regarding my sweet diet, but I feel compelled to get indulged in sweet sin whenever somebody offers me this Sweet preparation.
Gajar Ka Halwa is a dessert recipe and ladies and gentlemen you may disagree with me on this, but I would dare to say that Gajar ka Halwa is a Jewel of Crown of all the Halwa recipes. Its a north Indian delight that finds its place in almost every Indian buffet.
Gajar Ka Halwa can be prepared with both red or orange carrots, but they taste best with red ones which are found in abundance in winter season. They are grated and allowed to cook with Milk and sugar. Allow them to simmer on a low flame until Carrot gets cooked and you can find no traces of excess milk. This would take quite some time if done on low flame, but dear readers patience is a virtue and more so if you are preparing a scrumptious preparation like Gajar ka Halwa that your family can drool over.
Finally, we add some Khoya (similar to ricotta cheese, but lower in moisture and made from whole milk), ghee and generous helping of dry fruits and mix them all together to turn it into a dessert that will be too hard to resist for anyone.Adding 1-2 drops of Rose essence in this Halwa gives it a very royal touch. Get indulged in sweet temptation.
- ½ Kg Carrot (Preferably red)
- 375 ml Milk
- 125 gm Khoa/Mawa (similar to ricotta cheese, but lower in moisture and made from whole milk instead of whey)
- 125 gm Sugar
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp cardamom powder
- ½ cup chopped dry nuts(Cashew,Almonds,Raisins)
- 1-2 drops Rose essence
- Grate Carrots finely.
- Add Grated Carrots, Milk,Sugar in a Pan and let it cook on low flame for 20-25 mins
- Ensure that carrot gets cooked completely (must turn tender) and Milk is fully reduced.
- Meanwhile dry roast Khoya/Mawa in a separate Pan until Khoya turns light brown in texture.
- When gajar is completely cooked and Milk is fully reduced, switch off the flame and remove cooked carrot in a plate
- In a vessel add 2 tbspoon ghee, and add cooked carrot to it and saute for approx 1 min
- Now add roasted Khoya and mix it well
- Add Cardamom Powder and Dryfruits and mix them nicely
- Gajar Halwa is ready. Switch off the flame. Now add 1-2 drops of rose essence in Gajar Ka Halwa.
- Do not go overboard while adding Rose essence and add only 1-2 drops
- You can Garnish Gajar Ka Halwa with dessicated dry coconuts and dry fruits.
- Serve Gajar Ka Halwa when it is hot. You would find it irresistible
Click Here to watch Recipe Video