Here’s a quick question for all the outstation students, working professionals, “What do you miss the most about your home when away from home?”.
I think we all have a list of things that we miss about our home, May be you would miss your family, your friends, your bed… However, the one thing that we all miss would be “Home Food”!!
We all have serious liking’s of some recipe prepared by our Mom or Dad. However, there is this one preparation that is so popular that all outstation folks would crave for it. I am referring to “Dal Tadka”. This recipe is hugely popular pan India and every Indian restaurant has this preparation on their Menu.Dal Tadka is simple yellow dal that is pressure cooked with turmeric and asafoetida. It is then cooked with basic spices and finally tempered with Desi Ghee,Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds and Red chilies. That’s it!! Its that simple.
Rightly said by Leonardo da Vinci “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!!!” So when you crave for “Ghar ki Dal” next time, don’t ignore your craving. Make Dal Tadka and Jeera rice and get your craving fulfilled!!
- 1 cup Pigeon Peas (Tur Dal/Arhar Dal) soaked for 45 mins. After soaking time, drain out the water and remove it in a bowl
- 1 tspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- ½ tspoon asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Medium sized Onion finely chopped
- 1 Big sized Tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chillies cut lengthwise
- 1 tspoon Garam Masala
- For Tempering
- 1 tspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tspoon cumin seeds
- 2 whole dried red chillies
- 5-6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Other Ingredients
- Clarified butter (Desi Ghee)
- Fresh Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Pressure cook Dal in a pressure cooker. Use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of Dal. Add Turmeric, Asafoetida and let the Dal cook on medium Flame for 4 whistles
- When pressure is completely released, open the lid and check to see if the Lentil/Dal is Properly cooked
- Heat 2 tbspoon oil in a pan. Add chopped Onions and Green Chillies to the pan and roast until the Onions turn tender
- When Onions turn tender, add chopped tomatoes, and allow it to cook completely. Add ½ tspoon salt for faster cooking of tomatoes.
- When Tomatoes are properly cooked add garam masala and mix well. Roast for 30 seconds
- Now add cooked Dal to the Pan and mix it well with other Ingredients
- Add salt as per your taste and mix it well. Add enough water to alter the consistency of Dal
- Allow the Dal to cook on Medium Flame until one boil.
- Dal is ready. Now Prepare for Tadka
- Add 2 tbspoon Ghee in a Pan and heat well
- Add Dried red chillies to the pan
- Add chopped garlic and roast till it turns light brown
- When Garlic turns light brown, add mustard seeds, and cumin seeds.
- When Cumin seeds begin to splutter, tadka is ready. Add Tadka to dal
- Cover the pan to retain the fragnant flavor
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves
You can watch recipe video here