A new dawn marks a beginning of a new year- year 2017. To me this year promises to be as eventful as year 2016, in fact even more.
Much of last week, I was busy experimenting with this recipe of Coconut Macaroons. Usually these macaroons are made with sweetened shredded coconuts but as I failed to procure them from my local grocery store and instead had a bag full of desiccated coconut lying in my pantry I was exploring the possibility of utilizing desiccated coconut for the recipe.
After more than couple of trials and modifications, we were able to devise this recipe. Desiccated coconut when compared with sweetened shredded coconut lacks on two fronts, moisture and sweetness which are essential qualities for making macaroons. Incorporating sweetness and moisture are the first couple of steps in the recipe. We add powdered sugar for sweetness, a mixture of water and vegetable oil is added to moisten the coconut.
Another important ingredient of this recipe is sweetened condensed milk (we have used milkmaid brand) which not only introduces sweetness but also brings desiccated coconut together.
Coconut Macaroons can serve as delicious accompaniment with your coffee. You can share your feedback about this recipe in the comment section below
Click here for other Microwave recipes
- 200 grams unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 100 grams condensed milk
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 40 ml water
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼th tsp salt
- semi sweet chocolate bar (melt using double boiler method)
- We start with incorporating sweetness and moisture into desiccated coconut.
- Add powdered sugar and mix.
- Mix water and oil.Mix it with desiccated coconut.Leave the desiccated coconut aside for 10 mins.
- Add salt to egg whites.Whisk egg whites at medium speed until it forms stiff peak.In the coconut mixture, add condensed milk.Add vanilla essence and mix.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pre-heat oven.In convection mode, pre-heat at 160 degree Celsius. Line a butter paper on baking tray and drop macaroons on it.
- You can drop the macaroons through piping bag or directly using your hands.Let's put them inside the oven.Place the baking tray on low rack.Set the timer to 18 mins and start.
- After 15 mins, Surface is lightly browned. Take them out.
- As first batch of macaroons cools down, we will line up the second batch.
- We will now dip the macaroons in melted chocolate.Check our youtube channel for "How to melt chocolate with double boiler method".
- Dip the lower half of macaroons in the melted chocolate.Refrigerate for 15 mins (do not put in freezer compartment).
- Coconut macaroons are ready. It can be best enjoyed with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee.
Click here to watch recipe video
Click here to watch recipe video for “How to melt chocolate”