It lies in front of your eyes, delicately poised at the center of a plate, and its gentle aroma caresses your olfactory senses and you, with your eyes closed, let the moment seep inside you.
Now open your eyes, and feast into the delicacy with your eyes while you have a look of affection on your face. You gently lift the dessert spoon, and don’t bother to place napkin on your lap, and dig in, gently, very gently. The oval shaped bowl at the end of long handle of the spoon has already pierced into it and it goes further inside guided by the gentleness of your hand until you reach the bottom and the spoon strikes the hard surface of the plate. Now you must be very gentle, it is the time for grand feast for your eyes, and you don’t want to make mess of it. As you pull out the spoon softly, the molten lava gently begins to flow and this is the moment dear readers, when gratification overwhelms you.
That describes how I felt last Sunday as I went through the process of achieving overwhelming fulfilment in form of ‘Choco Lava Cake’. I made it twice in the span of one week, and shared these beauties with few of my friends and they went into the state that you see being portrayed in a television commercial of Cadbury, where the actor just goes ‘mmmmm…..’
The process that goes behind the making of lava cake is quite easy and just requires some quick blending, lining them inside molds (silicon molds, ramekin bowls anything would do) and baking them on high power (230°C) for about 10 mins. This is the most important step of the baking process- high power and shorter duration. The high power achieves two goals, one it will set the cake perfectly from outside, and two, the inside will be just cooked, however the shorter duration will ensure that the inside still stays moist and flowy, which creates a stream of molten chocolate as soon as you make a cut.
The other important aspect that goes into making this cake or for that matter any cake are measurements of the ingredients. I would suggest you to go ahead and purchase a kitchen weighing scale that is available on online shops. It is an investment that you would be proud of and the result will fetch you accolades from your family and friends. To minimize the goof up and ensure that the result turns out exactly that the recipe promises I have given all measurement in grams.
You do not have to bake the lava cakes all at a time. The batter can be refrigerated and used whenever required. However, you may have to microwave the batter for 30 seconds before you can pour them into silicon molds.
As we usher into year 2016, the celebrations must have already begun or the preparation must be in full swing. What better way to welcome New Year than a chocolate dessert oozing out molten chocolate from within. Remember to serve while it is still hot and you could even add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on the sides or on the top as it suits your taste.
You can share your feedback in the comment section below.
Find more Dessert recipes
Find more Microwave recipes
- 200 grams dark chocolate chips
- 35 grams cocoa powder
- 80 grams plain flour (maida)
- 160 grams granulated sugar
- 100 grams butter(at room temperature)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Melting chocolate and butter by double boiler:Heat some water in a large vessel. Place another glass bowl firmly on top of this vessel.Ensure that water should not touch the bottom of glass bowl.
- Put butter in the glass bowl.Add chocolate chips.
- Allow them to melt and mix on a low flame. Chocolate and butter melt and form a mixture in 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and keep the bowl aside.
- Crack open four eggs and put yellows and whites in a bowl.Blend them to form a mixture.
- Add granulated sugar and give it a quick mix for 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla essence and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Now, its time to add chocolate mixture. Temperature of chocolate syrup should be brought down before adding to egg mixture.
- Give another quick mix of 30-45 seconds.
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven in convection mode at at 230°C
- Sift in cocoa powder.Sift in plain flour(maida).Stir in the ingredients with a spatula.Give a final quick blend with a mixer.
- Batter for lave cake is ready.Lets fill them in silicon molds.Line the molds on low rack.
- There is no need to grease these molds.Cake can be demolded easily.Do not fill them till up to the brim. Fill them till ¾th.
- Fill only till ¾th as the lava cake will rise up during baking.
- Put the molds inside pre-heated oven (230°C) and bake for 10 minutes.
- Demold and serve hot.Dust lava cake with some cocoa powder.Make them for New Year Party.
Click here to watch recipe video