Chane Jaisalmer Ke is a kadhi preparation from Rajasthani cuisine that combines black chick peas with gram flour and curd. There are numerous gems of vegetarian dishes in Rajasthani cuisine and Chane Jaisalmer Ke is one of those gems.
Dried black chickpeas are soaked overnight in water and boiled in a pressure cooker until 3 whistles. Small amount of boiled chickpeas are mashed and used for thickening of gravy. Kadhi is prepared using a mixture of curd, gram flour, and turmeric powder.
Kadhi and boiled chickpeas are cooked together on low heat for several minutes until it results into a gravy of thick consistency. The dish is tempered with a spicy tadka of ghee, red chilies and mathania chili powder.
Chane Jaisalmer is an interesting twist to the conventional Kadhi and can be relished with steamed rice.
Find more Rajasthani recipes
- 200 grams dried black chickpeas. Soak chickpeas overnight in water. Pressure cook chickpeas with 1 tsp salt until 3 whistles.
- 225 grams curd
- 4 tbsp. besan (gram flour)
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 tbsp. mustard oil
- 2 inches cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- For tempering: 1 tbsp. clarified butter
- For tempering: 1 tsp mathania red chili powder
- For tempering: ½ tsp mustard seeds
- For tempering: 2 dried red chilies
- Mash small amount of boiled chickpeas. Mashed chickpeas are used for thickening of the dish. Add them back to the boiled chickpeas.
- Take curd in a separate bowl. Add besan, turmeric powder 1 tsp salt. Whisk to get rid of lumps. Ensure that the whisked curd has no lumps.
- Heat 2 tbsp. mustard oil in a pan till it reaches smoking point. Turn off the heat as it reaches smoking point. Allow the oil to cool to a more reasonable frying temperature. This imparts a pleasant flavor to oil.
- Add Bay Leaf and cinnamon stick and cumin seeds. Now add green chilies, asafoetida powder. Add ginger-garlic paste. Fry until we get rid of raw smell.
- Add besan-curd batter to the pan and mix. Add ¼th cup water and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add boiled chick peas, 1 cup water and mix. Add salt to taste. Mix well on medium heat.
- We can add ½ cup water to adjust consistency. Let the gravy simmer on medium heat. As gravy starts to boil, reduce heat and cook covered.
- We have cooked gravy for approx. 7 mins. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the heat and prepare for tadka.
- Heat 1 tbsp. clarified butter. Add mustard seeds and dry red chilies. Turn off the heat. Now add red chili powder. Pour this Tadka on the gravy and mix. Keep the gravy covered till the time of serving
- Chane Jaisalmer Ke can be relished with steamed rice
Click here to watch recipe video