Dear readers, in the culinary landscape of Indian cuisine, Biryani is one of those revered dishes that finds itself equally popular amongst the elites and the general masses. Just as you would need an eye of a fine art connoisseur to appreciate the work of Picasso, magic of biryani needs to be discerned by an ardent food connoisseur.
Before you draw any further inference, I need to stop and state right here, this post is not about Biryani. Well then why the digression you may ask? The dish that we are discussing in this post in not far off. It is served as a humble companion of Biryani. While biryani does hogs all the limelight, a well-made raita has a charm of its own.
So when we make a rice preparations like biryani or pulao, raita is always at the back of our mind. There are several variants to raita, but the chief ingredient of the preparation is always curd. One can make vegetable raita, cucumber raita, lauki (bottle gourd) ka raita and many other variants.
Today we are experimenting with Bhindi (Okra). The sliced Bhindi is crisp fried and added to the mixture of curd which is flavored with Indian spices like chilies, fennel seeds, cilantro leaves.
It is important to remember that raita is served with biryani to compliment the spiciness of biryani with its coolant properties. So the addition of spices to raita must be done so as not to completely lose on its cooling properties.
Prepare this delicious Bhindi ka raita with your biryanis or pulaos and remember to share your feedback with us in the comment section below.
Find more such accompaniments
- 500 grams curd
- 125 grams Bhindi (Okra) cut into slices
- 3 green chilies finely chopped (less spicy variant)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- pinch of asafoetida powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp roasted fennel seeds powder
- salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Heat Oil in a pan.We will fry bhindi in batches.We must fry bhindi until it turns crisp.
- Bhindi turns crisp in couple of minutes.We will remove it from oil with a slotted spoon.Similarly fry remaining batches
- Whisk curd.Add fennel powder,red chili powder, asafoetida powder,salt to taste, chopped chilies and chopped coriander leaves.Mix
- Add fried bhindi.Mix
- Refrigerate till serving
- Bhindi Raita can be served with Biryani and Pulao
Click here to watch recipe video