Aloo Tokri Chaat or Potato basket chaat will have your guests spell bound by its aesthetics and will leave them speechless with its tantalizing taste. Enjoy one of the finest Chaats from the Northern India
Here’s a Chaat that is a most favored Chaat recipe for me for two reasons. One, crisp potato basket stuffed with a delicious, sweet, tangy and spicy filling and topped with sweetened curd, chutneys and crunch of Nylon Sev- taste that is irresistible and second, could there be a more aesthetically pleasing Chaat than this. For me, the Potato baskets steal the show.
This recipe has been adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor’s book Chaat. I have purchased the kindle version of this book which has numerous delicious Chaatrecipes in it.
Aloo Tokri Chaat is made with grated Potatoes which are assembled together in a shape of a bowl with a help of mesh tea strainer. This bowl of Potato is then deep fried until it becomes crisp and golden colored.
For the filling, there are numerous possibilities in this Chaat and we can experiment with different filling of our likings. I have used a healthier option in this recipe in form of different kinds of steamed Sprouts-Black Chana, Moong and Matki. These sprouts are spiced with Indian spices and chutneys are added to elevate its flavor.
For serving, this filling is put in the fried Katoris and topped with curd, chutneys and lots of Nylon Sev.
Aloo Tokri Chaat is our final installment of the Chaat series that we started last week. As part of this series we have shared some very interesting Chaat recipes that you can find here. Make these interesting Chaat recipes and share your feedback with us in the comment section below.
- 4 Large=500 gms Potatoes-peeled and kept in a bowl of cold water
- 1 tbsp Plain flour (or Corn flour)
- Cooking Oil
- For filing: -
- ½ cup=60gms sprouted Black Chickpeas-pressure cooked until 3 whistles on medium heat
- ½ cup=70gms sprouted Green Gram- steamed in a pressure cook but do not take any whistle (approx. 5 mins)
- ½ cup=70gms sprouted Moth Beans- steamed in a pressure cook but do not take any whistle (approx. 5 mins)
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1 Green Chili-finely chopped
- ¼th tsp Black Salt
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh Coriander Leaves-finely chopped
- Coriander-Mint Chutney
- Date-Tamarind Chutney
- ½ cup=100gms Curd
- ½ cup Nylon Sev
- 1-2 tsp Sugar
- In a bowl, put curd. Add 2 tsp Sugar and whisk well until it becomes smooth. Chill in refrigerator until serving
- Let's grate Potatoes now. Take a bowl of cold water. With a large sized grater, grate Potatoes. Collect grated Potatoes in a bowl of cold water. This helps in getting rid of extra starch and it becomes crispier on frying. Strain and leave the Potatoes in the strainer.
- Take a large plate and spread a cotton cloth on it. Put grated Potatoes on the cloth and dry it thoroughly. It is very important to dry the potatoes otherwise we won't be able to form Katoris. Now, let's make Potato bowls (Katori) for the Chaat. In a plate take some grated potatoes.
- Put 1 tsp Plain Flour and little Salt and mix well. Mix gently. Do not squeeze while mixing. Take two mesh tea strainers - one large and other small. Put some grated Potatoes in the large mesh strainer and shape it into a bowl. Do not press hard. Gently shape it into a bowl. Now put the small strainer on top of large one. Let's fry the Potato bowls (katoris) now.
- In a Pan heat cooking oil on high heat. We will lower the strainer in the Oil and dip it completely and fry on low heat. Fry until Katoris become golden brown in color. We have cooked Katoris for 2 mins. Now lift the upper strainer. Now, turning the strainer in the oil, cook the Katoris from inside.
- We have fried Katoris on low heat for total 4 mins. Leave the strainer to cool down for 1-2 mins and then gently tap and remove the Katoris. Katoris are ready. Similarly make other katoris
- Now, we will make filling for Katori Chaat. In a large bowl, put sprouted Moong, Matki and Chana. You can use the sprouts without steaming if you choose so.
- Now add chopped Green Chilies, Black Salt, red Chili Powder and Chaat Masala. Add some chopped Coriander Leaves and Salt to taste. Add 1 tsp Green Chutney and 2 tsp Date-Tamarind Chutney. You can increase or reduce the quantity of chutneys. Mix well. Filling for Katori Chaat is now ready
- Fried Potato Katoris and its filling are ready. Let's do the plating. Take a serving plate and arrange Katoris in the plate. Put 1-2 spoons of filling.
- Add curd. Add green chutney and date-tamarind chutney. Sprinkle some Chaat Masala on top. Top with some Nylon Sev
- Katori Chaat is ready to be served
Click to watch recipe video