It’s hot! Let me begin this post by presenting a stat which Pune residents won’t be proud of. As per a news report, Pune has already witnessed mercury levels soaring till 41 degrees Celsius and we are just at the end of March. The occurrence of these levels after 14 years presents a bleak outlook of the long summers ahead.
Though I am on lookout for new and exciting recipes of drinks that can replenish my falling energy levels once I am back from the sapping heat, here is one recipe that has stayed with me since my childhood days. Aam ka Panna is raw mango based drink that has attained popularity pan India owing to its medicinal benefits and for its coolant properties. Raw mangoes prevents dehydration and can be used as an effective counter against loss of salt from body due to excessive sweating. The excessive heat in summers has an effect on the digestive system of human body and aam ka panna can be used as an effective medicine against diarrhea, indigestion, morning sickness and constipation.
Making Aam ka Panna is fairly easy. Peeled mangoes are first pressure cooked till it gets soft. The pulp is extracted from the seeds and mixed with mint leaves (the medicinal properties of mint in summers are unmatched), powdered sugar, roasted cumin powder and black salt. Grind the ingredients and store it in refrigerator. So next time when you make your way back home through the dreadful summer heat, feeling all sapped out, pull out the refrigerated pulp, mix with a glass of water and there you have it- one of the best coolants with all the medicinal properties.
- 450 grams Kairi (raw mangoes)
- ¼ th cup fresh mint leaves
- ¾th cup (125 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tsp black salt
- Peel off the skin.We will pressure cook the peeled mangoes.Pressure cook on medium heat until 2 whistles.
- Slice off the pulp from steamed mangoes.Put pulp in a blender jar. Put mint leaves,roasted cumin powder, powdered sugar, black salt.Grind into a fine paste.
- We have used ¼th cup water for grinding.Let's put this in a jar.
- Add 5-6 cups of water and stir.
- Refrigerate until serving
- Enjoy these summers with refreshing Aam ka Panna
Click here to watch recipe video